Completed Install Of Bluetooth Handsfree

Bill H

I will be posting pictures tomorrow but here goes the installation procedures for a Motorola IHF1000 bluetooth kit in a 1997 LS400 with Nakamichi sound system.

It is a simple installation really. I followed Jims instructions and even mirrored the speaker installation by the fuse box (be sure to loosen the black cover before drilling as to not hit the connectors that it is covering).

Instead of placing the module between the carpet and transmission, I loosened the black cover above the brake pedal and used double side tape and cable ties to attach it and then place the cover back on. There is plenty of room as I have the integrated radar detector and all of the wires are up there as well.

My connection to the fuse box was aided by a very nifty piece that I got at NAPA in which you remove the fuse from the box, plug this new harness in, place a 5 amp fuse for the bluetooth and the original fuse in the second slot of the adapter. There is a lead with crimp connector to attach the lead to the system.

There are two power leads, Red goes to a 5 amp ignition fuse and the green goes to a lead with full power on the ignition and low power when the ignition is off. You will have a 7.5 amp radio fuse which is the best place to plue the green lead into.

Where I ran into trouble was with the mute wire. My LS did not have a mute lead on the wiring harness under the console. I am assuming that this is due to the Nakamichi with the portable plus Motorola phone. I had to run a wire to the trunk and go to the right side under the floor. Coming off of the phone CPU it was a tellow wire with black stripe. I used Blake and Jims method of a continuity tester to ground it.

I did have a problem testing the leads under the console to warn you all about. I used the continuity tester and shorted out one of the ECU's. I lost power steering, The complete charging system, ABS, traction control and the ability to shift. It blew a fuse in the fuse box, nothing major but I had to use the diode tester to find the right fuse.

In the end it was all worth it. I was 10 feet behind the car putting stuff away while the ignition was on and the phone rang. It picked up the bluetooth and ran the call in the car.

The Motorola also reads the incoming number or the name if you placed it in the memory.

Bill H,

Bill, glad to hear about your success. I read the IHF1000 manual - sounds like a great kit with interesting features. The fuse box adapter sounds neat - better than forcing a spade adapter into the fuse box or splicing into an existing wire - definitely information I can use - thanks!

Little confused about why a fuse blew - did you use an unpowered 12V test light? or a battery powered continuity tester? - mine are not interchangable.

I'm surprised there wasn't a mute pin in the driver side phone harness under the console - my 00 LS with Nakamichi has one. I wonder if you have to first remove the in-line trunk mounted phone module - essentially deinstalling the existing phone.

If anyone is interested, there are some interesting antenna signal booster amps from Wilson Electronics (and other companies) that can bring a modern cell phone up to the full 3 watt maximum allowed: http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/ListProducts.php?Type=11 The amps can be used either with a phone holder with an antenna connection or by using a cable adapter directly into the phone - the main market for these things may be over-the-road truckers.

One of these amps would easily fit in the trunk well of our LS where the Lexus OEM phone module would normally be installed -- looks nearly plug and play with the prewired antenna cables except for tapping into a 12V power source for the amp. We may be moving soon to an area where there is very poor to no cell phone service -- I hope one of these amps does the trick.

Where I ran into trouble was with the mute wire. My LS did not have a mute lead on the wiring harness under the console. I am assuming that this is due to the Nakamichi with the portable plus Motorola phone. I had to run a wire to the trunk and go to the right side under the floor. Coming off of the phone CPU it was a tellow wire with black stripe. I used Blake and Jims method of a continuity tester to ground it.
That sure is odd. I think Jim may be on to something as far as the transciever being the culprit of you not getting a mute in the console harness since neither of our LSs have the OEM phones, but we both found the mute in the console harness. What cracks me up is that the transiever in my old ES300 was under lock and key in its trunk mounted bracket. I'd love to know the reasoning behind that one. I sure can't imagine someone wanting to steal it! LOL

Congrats on the car phone! It was one of the best things that I've done to my car! I updated my system several months ago, allowing me to narrowly escape a full replacement so that I can use a newer phone with my cark 91h. :D

Hi Bill, congrats on your install..., but let me ask u this: How do you like the sound coming out of the 5 watt speaker? I have the IHF1000 as well, waiting to be installed as soon as I have some time, but I was pondering whether I should route the sound thru the door speakers, or the 5 watt speaker that came with the system. What do you think?

That sure is odd. I think Jim may be on to something as far as the transciever being the culprit of you not getting a mute in the console harness since neither of our LSs have the OEM phones, but we both found the mute in the console harness. What cracks me up is that the transiever in my old ES300 was under lock and key in its trunk mounted bracket. I'd love to know the reasoning behind that one. I sure can't imagine someone wanting to steal it! LOL

Congrats on the car phone! It was one of the best things that I've done to my car! I updated my system several months ago, allowing me to narrowly escape a full replacement so that I can use a newer phone with my cark 91h. :D

Blake,

I owe you many thanks for the help and inspiration. While doing this project, I removed the seats, console and the carpet, powerwashed the carpet and placed Dynomat on the floor as well. I decided to give my car it's tenth anniversary maintenance. I took the front seats, center armrest and door armrest and had new leather put on all of them.

I also sent my steering wheel and shifter to Alan Gun leather Accessories in plantation Florida where he is rebuilding them with new leather and wood. I went with him based on your experience with American Stitches. I will post picture when it is returned, but if anyone needs more information he is at www.aglausa.com

I am also posting the installation document with pictures like Jim did if anyone could use it.

Bill

Hi Bill, congrats on your install..., but let me ask u this: How do you like the sound coming out of the 5 watt speaker? I have the IHF1000 as well, waiting to be installed as soon as I have some time, but I was pondering whether I should route the sound thru the door speakers, or the 5 watt speaker that came with the system. What do you think?

I like the sound of the speaker that came with it. While mounted on the drivers side my wife can be part of the conversation from the passenger side without any problem. I thought about tracking down the cars speaker wires but after shorting out one ECU, I thought it best to leave well enough alone.

Bill

Blake, I owe you many thanks for the help and inspiration. While doing this project, I removed the seats, console and the carpet, powerwashed the carpet and placed Dynomat on the floor as well. I decided to give my car it's tenth anniversary maintenance. I took the front seats, center armrest and door armrest and had new leather put on all of them.
Naaah, don't mention it, I'm glad to have been able to help! ;) I bet it feels like you are driving a clean, new car with all of the new upholstry, clean carpet, and gadgetry! B)

Blake