Red Vs. Green

Doing some engine work on my 1969 MG today. Drained and pulled the rad, the fan & pulley, and the water pump.

I've read many threads (too many?) on this site about antifreeze, more specifically the proper colour to pour into your engine. Many people seem to be of the opinion that the cooling system and engine will be clogged with gunk and ruined by pouring the dreaded green antifreeze into the rad. I'm not trying to start another antifreeze "rant" here, but have a look at these photos....

post-10851-1146010920.jpg

This is the water pump. It's an aluminum casting. Last time it was off the car - about 1982. Looks pretty good, no?

post-10851-1146010658.jpg

This is a shot of the inside of the pump. Look close - any sludge/gunk/corrosion?

post-10851-1146011432.jpg

Inside the cast-iron block. Clean as a whistle, no rust or crud at all.

The car still has its original rad, too. Didn't take a photo of it, but it's in fine shape.

This engine has ONLY ever had green antifreeze, usually Prestone or whatever else was cheap, in its cooling system. Last time it was flushed and changed (by me) was in 1999.

I know, I know... it's not a Toyota, it's just an old iron block not aluminum, it doesn't have magnesium and unobtainium gaskets, etc. etc. etc. But it is 38 years old and has never had a drop of the hallowed Red coolant in it. Look at the photos again - and tell me that Green antifreeze will cause your cooling system to gunk up and destroy your engine.

Red vs. Green - which one would you choose? Looks to me like it makes no difference at all.

Just my opinion.

tck...

I don't remember reading any threads that said green was bad as coolant.

I do remember threads that stated "green should not be mixed with red" as well sticking with the paticular type of coolant the cars came with.

Different bases but basically the coolant of red and green are the same.

green is basic

red is long life

pink is extra long life and usually can be used in many engine types.

I searched the ES forum using "overheating" as my search word and came up with 4 pages worth of posts on the subject.

I searched the ES forum using "head gasket" as my search word and came up with 5 pages worth of posts on the subject.

I searched the ES forum using "power steering pump" as my search word and came up with 4 pages worth of posts on the subject.

I searched the LS forum using "overheating" as my search word and came up with only 2 pages worth of posts on the subject.

I searched the LS forum using "head gasket" as my search word and came up with only 2 pages worth of posts on the subject.

I searched the LS forum using "power steering pump" as my search word and came up with a whopping 10 pages worth of posts on the subject.

The lesson here is that even though all Lexus models have virtually identical factory maintenance schedules, the mechanical components of the different models vary in their ability to withstand the effects of delayed or neglected preventive maintenance or the use of aftermarket parts and fluids to maintain those components. So for example, whereas many LS400/430 owners will not experience engine overheating or head gasket failure from using green antifreeze, many ES owners will. And whereas many LS owners will not ever have to deal with engine sludge even if they delay / extend oil changes, many ES owners will. Conversely, ES owners will not likely experience as much power steering pump trouble as LS owners.

Therefore owners who want to minimize their chances of ever having to deal with catastrophic mechanical component failures should not take chances by delaying or neglecting preventive maintenance or use aftermarket parts and fluids to maintain those components.

And 9 times out of 10 the owners who do take chances in this regard end up wrongly accusing Lexus of building defectively designed engines and transmissions.