1991 Ls400 New Owner Needs Help

jeffreyb

Hello all.

First, let me say that this forum is great. So cool to see a ton of people that are so helpful and respectful to one another.

I just bought a 1991 LS 400 from my father. He is up there in the years and has no need for this car since my stepmother passed.

Here is the shocker...... it only has 49500 ORIGINAL miles. The body and interior are cherry for the age of the car.

A couple of problems I have:

A/C had the valve and evaporation replaced 2 years and 1500 miles ago. (not sure what this means, but it was on the receipt from a Toyota dealership). The problem is that the AC doesn't blow cold. Is it common to have a freon leak? If so, where, and can I fix it myself?

Remote key. I have all the original keys, but the remote door lock does not work. This is the key with one button on the side. It only does the locks. Has no panic alarm or trunk release.

I replaced the battery in the key and have followed other instructions I have read on these boards. They do not work. I am wondering if something is different for the 1991.

The instructions I already tried include:

Put the key in the ignition and remove.

Cycle the locks 5 times.

Close and open the door.

Cycle the locks 5 more times.

Put the key in the ignition and turn to ON without starting.

Locks will cycle on their own.

I must have done this 25 times today and the lccks don't do squat when I get done. Thus, I have not completed the rest of the instructions. My concern is that the car is not responding. Is there something wrong with the car?

I would really appreciate some help and will be happy to answer any and all questions you may have about this new ride. Much thanks.

JB

Welcome!

Hope that this dosen't offend. But is the remote switch on the dash set to on ? Also, I have read about a few types of electrical problems being traced to damanged wire harness in the trunk. near the drivers side hinge.

I don't know much about the A/C. But there are threads about the heater blowing cold or warm air through the vents with temp set in the reverse of the air temp comming out. Some advice has been to check the coolent control valve on the fire wall. Which if not closing will let hot coolent flow through. Which could warm your A/C flow.

Best of luck

No offense taken. Yes, the remote switch is on. I still get no automatic cycling of the locks when I follow the procedures I have seen elsewhere.

I fear I may have to take the car in to Lexus for the AC prob. May cost a fortune, but if you live in AZ you have no real choice.

Thanks for the response.

Probably the transmitter in the key has gone bad. I put a new battery in both of mine and cleaned them out while they were open.

I thought that too, but I don't think a dead key would cause the car to not cycle locks if the programming sequence was right.

Probably the transmitter in the key has gone bad. I put a new battery in both of mine and cleaned them out while they were open.

I thought that too, but I don't think a dead key would cause the car to not cycle locks if the programming sequence was right.

bump

The remote locking on my 90 LS worked intermitently - actually almost never -- for a number of years.

The person who bought it from me in 2003 found that the card in the receiver in the trunk was loose. Once he snapped it firmly into place, the remote worked every time.

The remote locking on my 90 LS worked intermitently - actually almost never -- for a number of years.

The person who bought it from me in 2003 found that the card in the receiver in the trunk was loose. Once he snapped it firmly into place, the remote worked every time.

Do you know specifically where the receiver is located? Thanks