Tire Question

NMLX450

Michelin LX tires with, MAYBE, 10K miles, are showing extreme "dry rot" cracking. Vehicle used only during summer months at southern NM home, and under covered roof storage during winter months. I use ArmourAll protectorant on the sidewalls, and cover them with cardboard against the sun, but it would appear that original owner did not (Tucson vehicle), with even the truck's front seats dry rotting due to no tint on front glass (corrected), and no Lexoil.

Does anyone have any experience with the tire issue? I would hate to replace a set of tires with this much tread left, but do not want to deal with a safety issue. AND, I am toying with going to the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo when replacement time comes (from research on Tirerack.com). (I have the Michelin Cross Terrain on my Suburban, and Michelin Pilots on my Infiniti Q45, but they are mostly highway driven, where the LX must contend with some serious off road use, on occasion.)

In advance, thanks for the imputs!

Michelin LX tires with, MAYBE, 10K miles, are showing extreme "dry rot" cracking. Vehicle used only during summer months at southern NM home, and under covered roof storage during winter months. I use ArmourAll protectorant on the sidewalls, and cover them with cardboard against the sun, but it would appear that original owner did not (Tucson vehicle), with even the truck's front seats dry rotting due to no tint on front glass (corrected), and no Lexoil.

Does anyone have any experience with the tire issue? I would hate to replace a set of tires with this much tread left, but do not want to deal with a safety issue. AND, I am toying with going to the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo when replacement time comes (from research on Tirerack.com). (I have the Michelin Cross Terrain on my Suburban, and Michelin Pilots on my Infiniti Q45, but they are mostly highway driven, where the LX must contend with some serious off road use, on occasion.)

I have the Dueler A/T Revos. AWESOME...and NOT louder than the LTXs

I have the Dueler A/T Revos. AWESOME...and NOT louder than the LTXs

If the tires show dryrot to the point where the sidewalls are cracked pretty bad, there is little you can do. I would also think twice about the tire selection, most are happy with the Michelins

I'd be concerned about dry rot too. I don't think I'd run tires for very long if they look as bad as you describe.

I have a set of the Revos on the wife's LX 450. I think they're a great tire. Very quiet as well. We're very happy with the Revos. FWIW, I purchased my tires from America's/Discount Tiire Co. They have an excellent tire warranty package that you can purchase on top of tire price -- I've replaced several tires with them -- never had a problem.

How many years on the tires? Tires have a finite life span of about 5-6 yrs, even if you never drive the car. One factor that deteriorates the tires is the air (moisture) inside the tire. They'd likely last longer if you used 100% nitrogen. Then there are exterior factors...tempertures, humidity, UV, etc. OTOH, if your tires are only a couple of years old, I'd think it's a defect.