Hid Bulb Replacement

I have a '98 GS 400 and one of the HID headlamps went out, from searching the forums, it seems to me that the replacement bulb is D2R, @ http://hid-lights.com/ they have that bulb for $40. This seems alittle cheaper than what everyone has been talking about when replacing their bulbs. Is that the right bulb, and does anyone have a guide or walk through on replacing them. Thanks for any help.

The part number for the lamp from lexus is 90981-20001 @ $318.21 List EACH. Keep in mind that this is a brand name bulb, not some cheap aftermarket replacement.

Keep in mind, not all aftermarket lamps are equal, such is demonstrated in the difference in price. Generally, lifespan is shorter on cheaper bulbs as well. If you want to go cheap, make sure you get two of the same bulbs. The $40.00 bulb will definately be a different brightness and color (no matter which K temp you choose) than the used original.

If you look a little furthur, you will find that the OEM Lexus bulbs have a color temperature of 4300K, which is white as compared to the cheap replacements which are more blue. The color gets more blue as the K temperature gets higher. Also the light output in lumens decreases as the color gets more blue. The reason Lexus and some other manufactures use a lower color temperature is that the human eye is less sensative to blue light than white, which contains a more even mixture of all colors.

But the reality is, consumers want more blue. Blue is cheaper and offshore manufacturers thrive on cheap.

Good brands of lamps are Sylvania Osram and Philips. Philips can be found for about a third of the Lexus price. Even if you choose to use a better bulb, you will probably need to do both due to differences in color and intensity from aging.

Replacement is fairly straightforward. Make sure the light switch is off and the keys are out of the ignition. There is some high voltage present when starting the lamps, wouldn't want to fry yourself. Remove the back lamp housing cover, it twists off. Remove the socket and release the bulb from the locking mechanism. Some have a wire retainer and some have a rotating nut. Be careful not to touch the glass portion of the new bulb. If you do, clean it with alcohol and let it dry before reinstalling.

I have a 98 gs300 and the Philips Xenon Light D2R 85126 was the same bulb that came with the car. You should be able to get them at less than a $100 a pair.

After twisting off the plastic cover there was an aluminum cap with a pair of retaining wires. Although I somehow managed to take off the aluminum cap I have no idea how it goes back on. I don't know where to position the retaining wires to so it does not block the aluminum cap. So I just shoved it back in and put the cap back on but since it is not focused correctly the new bulb is dimmer than the old and not aligned correctly.

If someone has done a replacement before can you tell me where the retaining wires hook on to so the aluminum cap housing the bulb can be placed?

The dealer said HIDs are difficult and I have to drop my car off for half a day.

I have the hard copy two volume service manual and the equivalent cd version and there is no section on HID replacement.

Thanks,

AFish

From what I've heard from people the replacement is no harder than standard halogen bulbs.

One thing though, make sure you buy two bulbs otherwise the color won't match. HIDs get bluer as they age.

• 7 months later...

NAPA won't have them , ebay is real cheap to buy oem osram bulbs for about $100 a pair in comparison to the exact same ones from the dealer.

Just remove the casing at the back of the light and undo the clip find the notch to insert new bulb and you are good to go once you plug the harness in again.