Motor Mounts

breedy

I have read in some of the older posts that ES300s with manual transmissions are very hard on the motor mounts. I have not replaced mine (200k miles). What are the symptoms that indicate they need replacement. Thanks!

cracks in the rubber.. these are easily spotted from the engine bay

also put the car into reverse with your foot on the brake and slowly accelerate (very slowly) at the same time as pressing the brake pedal (left foot on brake) with someone watching under the hood and if the engine moves alot then the mounts are worn.

Actually, what you should really look for is similar to what Steve said, only do it in drive. This is b/c it will tell whether or not the front mount is good. Being that you drive forward much more than backward, this is usually your trouble spot. That and the "dogbone" on the top of the engine. But if you had any real problem, you'd know by how klunky it is when you drive; trust me, I know from experience. Just replaced the two I speak of on my 93. Made a world of difference, but I needed them BAD!