Rings Going, New Engine?

grand lexus

At just under 100,000 miles, the rings on my 2000 ES300 started to go. Blowing smoke. Mechanic says the only fix is an engine replacement. Is there an other (cheaper) alternative?

is it seals or maybe sludge? If it is rings, are they stuck or bad? If bad, can't you bore or hone the cyl out and install larger rings?

If you have proof of normal service, their is a 8 year unilimited mileage warranty for sludge on that engine. But you would have to prove the service was done on a timely basis.

You previously posted a thread on this topic

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=29110&hl=rings

We previously suggested to you that worn rings at 100,000 miles and 6 years is extremely unlikely and your mechanic has no business saying the rings are worn or broken unless her performed a cylinder compression and leak down test. Did you pay for these tests? We also already suggested that you have a mechanic remove one of the valve covers (cylincer head cover) to verify whether or not sludge is plainly visible and whether there are small amounts of sludge or massive amounts. Heavy sludge will result in heavy oil burning and blue smoke out of the tailpipe.

You previously posted a thread on this topic

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=29110&hl=rings

We previously suggested to you that worn rings at 100,000 miles and 6 years is extremely unlikely and your mechanic has no business saying the rings are worn or broken unless her performed a cylinder compression and leak down test. Did you pay for these tests? We also already suggested that you have a mechanic remove one of the valve covers (cylincer head cover) to verify whether or not sludge is plainly visible and whether there are small amounts of sludge or massive amounts. Heavy sludge will result in heavy oil burning and blue smoke out of the tailpipe.

I will check with another mechanic. The first one said sludge was not the problem. Maybe they want to install a new engine!

I will check with another mechanic. The first one said sludge was not the problem. Maybe they want to install a new engine!

As some have posted above (various tests) and they work (lots of $$$$$) to see if you have sludge or ring issues; but why not do a simple/cheap oil test and see what comes up. Look for the areas that sludge would show up (TBN, Nox, OXD, and low ZDDP). Rings would be Fe, Al, Sn and maybe ZDDP since they are are related. Cheapest route I could think of. Unless you like paying by the hour....

Where can you get one of these oil test done at? Who usually performs the job? What types of things can they tell you? It sounds reliable and cheap.

Blackstone labs (www.blackstone-labs.com/)

Catapiller

OAI (www.oaitesting.com/

Dyson (www.dysonanalysis.com/)

and there are more.

To pull and replace a valve cover takes only 1/2 hour of labor. Ditto for a cylinder compression test. Auto, truck and aircraft mechanics do not use oil analysis to determine whether or not an engine has sludge or has suffered mechanical damage due to sludge. They use physical tests such as compression testing and physical inspection of the internal parts.

I think all we were in agreement to saying was that dead rings @ 100,000m is not common. Not impossible.

Do a compression test / cylinder leak down test done.

That's all you need to know.

Maybe a stuck ring or two?

I like "up in smoke" the movie. LOL