Instrument Lights

DrScud

Lights are gone for my 96 LS 400 radio / CD intrusment panel. AC panel and button lighting is OK. The radio LCD display is fine, just no lights to illuminate the display or the buttons. Anyone have instructions for a do-it-yourself replacement of (I assume) are light bulbs used to provide this lighting??

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

No answers from me, I'm afraid, just more commiseration. My '95 LS400 has the identical problem - radio works fine, LCD is just jiffy, but no backlight on LCD display or radio buttons.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed as the climate control unit can, by replacing burned out bulbs? Or is this indicative of some other problem?

Thanks in advance.

After searching all morning through the forum for an answer to the radio backlight question, after I post a second question myself, naturally only THEN do I find this:

Pioneer Headunit

Basically, this gent says forget it, this ain't no DIY job. He doesn't specify exactly which generation he pulled the headunit from, but I can't imagine one would be drastically different from the others. His climate control backlight bulb switcheroo is for a G1, FWIW.

So we do without or payup for a refurbishing. Think I'll do without.

Hello, I have a 1991 Lexus LS400. My problem is with the front console instrument panel where the radio/CD and climate controls are. I got many lights burnout when you turn it on at night time. Night time when it works best to see your problem and how many lights are burn out.

My question is what is the best and efficient way to fix the lights. Yes, it has lightbulbs. Does any one know how to fix it and to post up a dialoque manual with picture steps to fix it. Thanks Paul.

• 2 months later...

i have this problem too. my 96 ls is starting to suffer from this problem. so far scan/pscan button lights are gone as well as the track button light. whole ac/radio panel is getting pretty hot when i drive at night. i dont know if its normal or not. may be its a begginning of the end?

I have been lucky with the lighting on my 90 LS400. All of the instrument cluster lights and needles still work fine, as does the "LCD" and its backlighting. My only problem is that some of the illumination lights on the climate control buttons will not illuminate at night when the lights are on. I have got used to where they are at however. It is a very common problem. Seems like the instrument cluster problem is more of a problem on the 1993-1994 LS400s.

Really? You guys have this problem too? I had a same problem but not any more. The last few days I figure out what cause the problem with my back light stereo why it does not work. I removed the circuit board of the stereo and did some continouity test on the component and re-assemble it. Now all back light panels are ON every time the car is started.

If you have only 1 light is out, it's very easy to figure out than all lights are out.

Because your car stereo does has something to do with your key Ignition settings or, depend your park lights is ON or OFF.

I also sent an email to a company in florida that specialty in stereo, they want to charge me for $190. But too bad, I fixed myself.

Here is some info about why is your LCD missing characters, and hints how to fix it too.

http://www.algonet.se/~frenchie/cx/CXdisplay.html

You may want to contact duluthelectronicsmaster@msn.com in Atlanta, my speedo needle burned out, then the dash cluster lights and finally the the center consule lights, the speedo was independent of the others, he fixed everything in the dash, didn't work on the center console area, which leads me to think the problem is in the cluster area. He charged me $603 including tax and labor to remove and install to fix. All is working great.