Car Feels Unsteady

I've owned my car for about a year now ('01 gs430 w/64k miles) and it has consistently felt unsteady on the highway. It wanders and feels "light". I've had it checked by lexus dealer(s) multiple times only to be told "nothing is wrong".

HERE'S THE QUESTION: Every time I get the car back, it rides awesome for the first few days. It doesn't wander on the highway and it feels tight and solid. But after a few days, it goes back to feeling "light". This may sound weird but, could putting the car on a lift and removing the wheels for inspection allow some suspension part to regain it's composure for a short time. What I mean is: could the shocks (or something) be bad but when they're free with unsprung weight they regain rigidity only for a short time????? Also, tires are showing cupping/feathering which dealer said was an alignment issue. Thanks in advance. (Sorry for the length of this post.)

I've owned my car for about a year now ('01 gs430 w/64k miles) and it has consistently felt unsteady on the highway. It wanders and feels "light". I've had it checked by lexus dealer(s) multiple times only to be told "nothing is wrong".

HERE'S THE QUESTION: Every time I get the car back, it rides awesome for the first few days. It doesn't wander on the highway and it feels tight and solid. But after a few days, it goes back to feeling "light". This may sound weird but, could putting the car on a lift and removing the wheels for inspection allow some suspension part to regain it's composure for a short time. What I mean is: could the shocks (or something) be bad but when they're free with unsprung weight they regain rigidity only for a short time????? Also, tires are showing cupping/feathering which dealer said was an alignment issue. Thanks in advance. (Sorry for the length of this post.)

It is your imagination playing with you. If you want more road feel , Lower it, Get it aligned and put some wider tires on it. Coilovers are the way to go.

• 1 year later...

• 1 month later...

front upper control arms!!!

sure everyone will say change the bushings, but i say how does that improve an old ball joint???

after dealing with this problem on my car for the last year (swaying at HIGH speeds) and countless alignments, i finally bit the bullet and bought the front upper arms. what a difference especially with the new lower arm (B position) and kyb's all around. now i can once again cruise at 100+mph w/o a problem.