Cold Start Sensor

I GOT MY CAR BACK! :cheers:

it went in yesterday morning and i got it back at noon today!

apparently, the cold start sensor was NEVER working, so thats why it had issues when it first started, almost got in a wreck cuz of it......anyways and i got the headlights fixed, it was TOTALLY out of alignment (damn that first place, ripped me off..didn't do their job) and the bulb was kinda dim...so i got me a new bulb :)

the car did mess up a bit when i drove it back home, but only once, and the RPM's are still kinda weird..but thats just my baby.

and the oil leak is at the distributor, some ring needs replacing in the next coople months, and it's only $100 (since it's in a not so good spot)

and to top it all off, i met a cute fella at the shop.

and as i was leaving, there was a 92-94 es 300 going up for a look-see, and it was just like mine :)

question: how can you tell the 92-94 apart, and the 95-96?

i used to know all these things about cars, but alas, i had too much school work and lost the time to keep up :chairshot:

92-93ES- Driver side airbag only. Round yellow fog lights. ES300 badging in right rear tail assembly.

94ES- Added passenger airbag. Slight grill change.

95-96ES- ES300 badging moved onto trunk deck. Fog lights rectangular with a clear lens. Slight grill change. Front light assemblies have etched lines on the outer plastic covering.

These are the visual changes I noticed, but there may be more that I'm not aware of. :rolleyes:

what do you mean exactly about the headlights on the 95-96? i guess ill need to stare at one to see

thanks ALOT! i just want to know what im drooling over when im on the highway :D

throw anything you (anyone) know about any model lexus of any year..........if i have time one weekend, im gonna go to different dealer lots who have used lexus....i just hate to deal with the sales people......

This is not a picture of the ES light assembly, but it'll give you some idea of the type of lines that are etched on the 95-96 ES's. The 92-94 ES's don't have those lines.

tail-clear.jpg

Design, man, design. :D It probably serves no purpose that I'm aware of, but the guy that buys a new car doesn't want his car to look like last years model. :P

92-93ES- Driver side airbag only. Round yellow fog lights. ES300 badging in right rear tail assembly.

94ES- Added passenger airbag. Slight grill change.

95-96ES- ES300 badging moved onto trunk deck. Fog lights rectangular with a clear lens. Slight grill change. Front light assemblies have etched lines on the outer plastic covering.

These are the visual changes I noticed, but there may be more that I'm not aware of. :rolleyes:

the 94 has no grill change it came with the 95-96 models with smoother slots

the engine is different in a 94 as it is the new 1mz-fe

also has a small button for outside temp on the hvac controller

also a little knob to adjust the alarm beeps rather than a switch

speaking of alarms.... does a 92 es 300 have one? i set one off once, stuck my hand through the open window to unlock the car...had never heard it before, but i can't turn it on or off.... so i figured i never had one.... anyone know how those darn alarms work? and how do i use it..i mean.....do i just leave my windows down all the time for it to work!!!

If the car is unlocked w/out the key, when the alarm is set, it will go off.

So if someone uses a slim-jim to open your car, picks your lock, or "reaches in", it will go off.

To my knowledge this is the only way to set it off. :unsure:

Let me know if you find another way.

-Jimi

Also, "To deter theft of the vehicle, this system is designed to give an alarm and keep the engine from being started if any of the doors, trunk, and hood is forcibly unlocked or the battery terminal is disconnected and then reconnected while the vehicle is locked. The alarm blows the horn intermittently and flashes the headlights, tail lights and other exterior lights. the engine cannot be started because the starter circuit will be disabled." -Lex Owner's Manual

I think I read in there too that the system is not active until approxamentaly 30 seconds after the car is locked(the method you use to lock the car doesn't matter). The security light should stay on then start blinking to let you know the car is armed. The window thing is a way to test it-according to the owner's manual. Anytime you lock the car the alarm should become active. B)

cool..and on a sadder note, my car is STILL HAVING ISSUES!!!! i drove it this morning and BAM stupid thing messes up again...today has been the worst day in a long time.. car is gonig back to the shop monday morning..

sorry piggy i think you have the only lexus lemon in the world

or the only neglected one :(

i have never heard or read of so many problems and so close together :huh:

are you sure your mechanic is on the up and up :ph34r:

i agree you have alot of problems for a lexus.i havent heard of so many.maybe your mechanic isnt that great.also as for the factory alram its ok but by no means is it great.all you have to do is break the window and hop in and pop the igintion and off you go with it.try it!open your driver side window then set the alarm and then just reach in without opeing your door and start the car!thats how easy theives steal our kind of cars.thats why its a good idea to upgrade the factory alarm!lexus should of had some sort of ignition kill while the car is armed but it dont.most people didnt even know that but its true.as long as you dont open the doors you are fine and could start the car and take right off.crazy!

sorry bbsal

the alarm does have starter kill

atleast on my 94

if i arm the lexus alarm then use the remote start

the engine turns over for 2 seconds then stops and the alarm goes off

the door unlocking only keeps the alarm from going off

sit in the car and then arm it

after the bypass time try and start the car it will go off

the lxus alarm is made to secure the car not its valuables inside

which is one reason why there is no shock sensor

if you have anything in the car worth stealing tehn add an extra alarm

freinds 93 another freinds 96 and my 95 do not do that!i am 100 percent positive because i told them about it and tried it on theres also and every car did the same thing.i left the window down then armed the car then stuck my hand into the car and started it and they all started and kept running with no trouble.the person who told me about this to begin with was a xcar theif from back in the day.hes old now and dont play around anymore since he spent time in jail for his actions but hes the one who told me about it and i didnt beleave him until i tried it on mine and was suprised to see he was right.do you have another alaram installed in your car or is it all factory?im talking about just factory alarm.im positive about this.i know it has a starter kill but thats only when the alarm is going off.if anyone here has a factory alarm try what i just said and post the results please.

car is going into the shop monday and i dont think anyone knows didily squat, but they fixed my headlights so im going back to the same place (previous mechanic had a heart attack so i dunno when he'll be back at work :( ) ..as for an alarm..... i do believe ill be buying a better one, anyone have a clue what i should look for in an alarm. i know nothing of alarms or even how to set it up..id have to get someone to install it.

the starter kill is active after 30 seconds maybe you didn't wait long enough after arming it

but it does have it

also when my remote start works

and the lexus alarm is on it kills the engine from turning over and sets off the alarm

and i haven't touched a door or unlocked anything

either the bypass time isn't reached or the cars are broken

lol

but it does have it

that would be great if it does cut off.im going to check my freinds 93 because i have another alram installed now so i cant even check mine.im not sure if i let it run more then 30 seconds but i thought i did.i will post after i check.hopefully im wrong because thats not even cool if it does stay running.

hey there...um...ive had so many things replaced for that problem.

what exactly does your car do?

mine just hated changing gears and didn't want to accelerate AT ALL first time in the morning...it's going into the shop again this wednesday...just give me kinda a description of what happens with your car.

first thing

a cold start is just that the trannys are made to run the rpms high until a satisfactory engine temp has been reached

you obviously like to turn the key and drive off

give the car atleast 30 seconds if not a minute to get its fluid going

just think of how easy it is for you once you get a shower

but when youi first rolled out of bed it was

oohhhh someone shoot me ,i don't want to get up yet :blink:

My car also will not accelerate at all. It starts fine and idles fine, but if I put it in gear and try to accelerate, it will just slowly roll at about 5 mph. Pressing down on the accelerator does not help to make it accelerate any faster. After about 5 minutes it will start to get better. Even if I let it warm up for about 2 or 3 minutes before taking off, it will still accelerate extremely slow.