Power Steering Fluid

I was checking out my fluid levels and noticed my Power steering fluid is kinda dirty and definitely smells burnt. What's the best way to drain the fluid to get all the old stuff out so I can recharge with new.

What about the fan and brake fluid - is this neccessary?

ps. I've got 230,000 km on this car..

i'd clean the solenoid filter on the steering rack and flush the power steering fluid. when flushing i performed a lock-to-lock method of draining th fluid and didn't really have to bleed the air out of the system... there was none! also if the fluid is leaking then do it now! could kill alt

Well, - I rebuilt the alternator and power steering pump 1year ago. I didn't change the PS fluid though. There aren't any leaks and everything is working fine - and somewhere on the posts it was recommended not to dig into the solenoid screen unless you have to.....

So, should I go looking for trouble (with good intention of putting fresh lube in) or should I leave it alone until something stirrs up. (Personally, if I've got time and am careful not to disrupt anything - the I'd prefer to do some Preventative Maintenance - especially since I've got 230,000km on this car.)

personally, when i cleaned the solenoid about a ounce of PS fluid came out. i used a standard oil drain pan to catch the stuff but could've prob used a foam cup. i say this so that you may get the idea that the solenoid is not messy and actually is VERY EASY! just be patient and wait for the fluid to drain or clean the PITA and replace before the fluid stops? really doesn't matter!

Good Luck! :cheers:

P.S. i'd search all forums everytime! ALL of these cars share components!