2004 Ls430 Dashboard Disassembly To Cut Vss Wire

Dolf

I have a 2004 LS430. Can anyone point me to a posting or tell me how to disassemble the dash to gain access to the vss wire so that I can cut it and get rid of the annoying phone functin defeat while the car is moving? (I guess we should be glad that they don't defeat the stereo controls or the heater controls while the car is moving!). And on this model, what is the color of the vss wire? It is baby-blue on some other models, and violet with a white stripe I believe on others. Thanks.

I wouldn't do that. Your Nav. will tweak out as it no longer as a speed input to calculate distance from/ to destinations.

Leave it alone, Your asking for trouble beyond your wildest nightmares. :ph34r:

Their are a few guys that have done this to their RXs with good results. I don't blame you Dolf, I'd be willing to chop that wire too if it enabled the bluetooth while in motion. Yeah, I'm waiting for the day that we have to sign a release to use the climate and stereo while the car is moving.:wacko:

On the other hand, their are several bluetooth carphones available that are fairly inexpensive and easy to install. Plus, you'll save your warranty should something grim happen.

Maybe its just me, but even if nothing did happen, I could not even think of comfortably cutting a wire behind the instrument panel - especially on a highly complex car like the LS430.

It would just not seem "repairable" to me. I do not know where all this "wire" goes, but it seems like once it is damaged, the car would never be the same again. Typically something that would probably cost $$$$ to repair.

I do not know, perhaps I am dumb, but it makes me cringe. :wacko: :)

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe its just me, but even if nothing did happen, I could not even think of comfortably cutting a wire behind the instrument panel - especially on a highly complex car like the LS430.

It would just not seem "repairable" to me. I do not know where all this "wire" goes, but it seems like once it is damaged, the car would never be the same again. Typically something that would probably cost $$$$ to repair.

I do not know, perhaps I am dumb, but it makes me cringe. :wacko: :)

Wow, thanks for all the replies, but I am astounded at the concerns of cutting a single wire. There are plenty of posts on how to do this exact same thing on other models, such as the GS:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ndpost&p=157699

Some of you say that there are 18 presets, so what am I worried about. You cannot use your phone this way often, as here are the problems:

(1) If you need to dial an extension after the phone is answered, you cannot do so as the numbers are greyed out. Even getting your own voicemail is impossible (you cannot delete messages, or move onto the next one).

(2) When the vehicle is in motion, half the data in the presets is blanked out. What on earth was Lexus thinking? We will allow you to dial out on these numbers, but we will not give you full information on which numbers are associated with which presets.

You are all concerned that cutting a wire may ruin an expensive vehicle. I am worried that despite paying a lot of money for a car, I need to bring it to a complete stop in order to dial a number.

BTW, disabling the vss signal for the phone does not affect the NAV system at all, as is well documented.

Zube, you have given details on what to do on other models such as the RX. Do you have instructions for an LS 430?

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Dolf.