1993&94 Nakamichi Subwoofer

93LSOwner

I got involved with my subwoofer after replacing all four of my speakers. The speakers have 3x if not more bass than the subwoofer.

I read a lot of the subwoofer related posts. Now, I am confused and have couple of questions:

I have a 1993 with Nakamichi sound system.

1. Do I have a 8” or 10” subwoofer? I ask this because people in the past posted that 1990-92 have 8” and 1993&94 have 10”.

(I can just pull the grill off and measure it myself, but currently I don’t have the tools to do that except for pen and pencils!)

There is someone selling a subwoofer with the brackets and I would like to experiment with that one if the size matchs with mine.

2. People have also replaced 8” with aftermarket 10”. So, can I get a 12” if I have 10”?

3. Is there a separate amplifier for the subwoofer? My amplifier is located above the 6-disc cd-changer.

These are the questions I have after reading past posts on here and at club lexus.

Thanks for reading.

I got involved with my subwoofer after replacing all four of my speakers. The speakers have 3x if not more bass than the subwoofer.

I read a lot of the subwoofer related posts. Now, I am confused and have couple of questions:

I have a 1993 with Nakamichi sound system.

1. Do I have a 8” or 10” subwoofer? I ask this because people in the past posted that 1990-92 have 8” and 1993&94 have 10”.

(I can just pull the grill off and measure it myself, but currently I don’t have the tools to do that except for pen and pencils!)

There is someone selling a subwoofer with the brackets and I would like to experiment with that one if the size matchs with mine.

2. People have also replaced 8” with aftermarket 10”. So, can I get a 12” if I have 10”?

3. Is there a separate amplifier for the subwoofer? My amplifier is located above the 6-disc cd-changer.

These are the questions I have after reading past posts on here and at club lexus.

Thanks for reading.

8" sub, Yes there is a amp for the sub in the trunk, You will have to customize the mount if you make any changes. You can remove the current amp and leave it as a port for a larger sub mounted in the trunk. Good Luck :cheers:

8" sub, Yes there is a amp for the sub in the trunk, You will have to customize the mount if you make any changes. You can remove the current amp and leave it as a port for a larger sub mounted in the trunk. Good Luck

I just went out and looked at it. It is 8" I was curious to see what it looks like. You can mostly hear and feel a little bass if you are sitting in the back seat. The sub is not ripped and damaged; I guess that’s how it is suppose to sound with stock amp. I guess its staying there then because the new one will sound the same!

It would be GREAT, if you could take that( dumb&almost useless) sub out and add a LARGE speaker in!!?

Where is that amp located in the trunk?

If I add a new amp with an enclosed sub, can I just run the wiring from that amp? or something?

if you are going to wire a new amp it maybe better to get the postive and negative signals from the factory sub. just disconnect the wires running to the factory sub and connect the wires to your new amp. if you need pictures or more details feel free to PM me. good luck

if you are going to wire a new amp it maybe better to get the positive and negative signals from the factory sub. just disconnect the wires running to the factory sub and connect the wires to your new amp. if you need pictures or more details feel free to PM me. good luck

OH Man........I was just reading some of your posts at Clublexus about subs, amps, etc., hahaha.

After reading some posts at clublex, I went out and looked for an amp behind the gas tank and didn't find anything. Then I read that it’s underneath the antenna inside the panels. Then I read that the speaker amp. is within/inside the head unit and the amp that is underneath the cd-changer is just for the sub!

Yeah, pretty damn confused.

I also read someone connecting an amp by the wires that connected to the stock sub, maybe it was you! Not sure I read alot of posts, lol.

Thank you very much for you help, I greatly appreciate it.