Replacing Timing Belt And Water Pump

FreddT

So I went to an Indie that I trust here, since he's done work for some of my friends. My W/P is leaking like crazy, and it was time to do the timing belt, too (110, 000 miles). He quoted $988 for the job, which seemed middle of the road for pricing I've seen on this forum. Plus I'm in California, which means extra cost for environmental foolishness and the like. So I told him to go ahead on my 94 LS.

So he calls today about a problem. Seems he didn't realize that the power steering pump, as well as the alternator, need to be removed! I was shocked, since I had downloaded all the instructions I could find (I was going to do it myself, except I don't have many tools). None of the instructions I have mention removing the P/S and the alternator. So I went over to the shop, where a mechanic showed me that he couldn't get to the W/P without these bracket removals. Looked real. So it's going to cost me an extra $150 in labor. I told him I'd check with the forum, and get back to him in the morning. Then I weakened, and told him to go ahead. Pitiful.

So my question is simply-do the alternator and P/S pump need to be removed? The mechanic was using a Gates manual, whatever that is. I noticed that the instructions I downloaded are for a 91LS, so maybe it got more complicated 3 years later? Thanks in advance for any comments/input.

Oh, I also have a cracked fan shroud, which I told him I would crazy glue back together. I was a little *BLEEP*ed.

Yes I too had to remove the power steering pump and alternator on mine (98) to be able to take out the serpentine belt tensioner. I would have checked around on prices first but anyway that's kind of late for that now. I hope he's at least including the cam/crank seals, tensioner, idler pulley, with that.

I've never heard of removing the p/s pump to change the TB; I've changed the TB in my '95 twice w/o removing the p/s pump. However, I did need to unbolt the alternator and slide it aside to gain access to some nuts or bolts.

I guess some years are different from others....

DSC00896.sized.jpg

I've never heard of removing the p/s pump to change the TB; I've changed the TB in my '95 twice w/o removeing the p/s pump. However, I did need to unbolt the alternator and slide it aside to gain access to some nuts or bolts.

I guess some years are different from others....

DSC00896.sized.jpg

That's so clean it's disgusting........................How many times did you steam clean it B-4 you took the picture?...............

Where'd 'ya hide all the "goo"?........

I've changed the TB in my '95 twice w/o removeing the p/s pump.

Only once here on my '95, but exactly my experience.

That's so clean it's disgusting........................How many times did you steam clean it B-4 you took the picture?...............

I guess it comes with the territory! How many times did I steam it?? It's a secrect! :whistles:

Nice pic there blake918. Ok, let me try this again. On the 98 and newer models, they moved the PS pump reservoir location and stacked on one stud---the PS pump, then behind it the alternator, followed by the drive belt tensioner bracket. I didn't have to remove completely the PS pump and alternator off the car but I did have to slide them off and out of the way from that stud. On pre 98 models you only have to do that to the alternator as blake918 and threadcutter mentioned.

Is the 900.00 or so he is charging for all parts and labor, or just parts???? I have a 91 LS, and I just did the water pump timing belt thing.. Now I admit I went nuts and played it safe and replaced a lot of other parts.... But I spent over a grand just on parts (and I bought at a discount).

I played it safe and not only did the belt and pump, but rollers, tentioner, seals, etc., along with new cap and rotor and coils. As those parts had 140,000 miles on them I felt best replacing them.

I believe job is rated at 10 to 15 hours on a 91 LS400.