Value Of A New Engine

Winger1

Hi all,

I have been lurking for quite awhile and it's a testament to how good this forum is that after months of lurking I finally have a question that a search didn't find !

I just had my 2000 RX300's {sludged} engine replaced under warranty @ 68700 miles.

I'm going to sell it with 0 miles on the new engine and I'm wondering what {if any} extra value a 0 mile engine with a 12 month factory warr. will add ?

I have no experience in this category, but if you did the KBB test with 0 milage, you probably have a ballpark. Problem is that just because the engine is new, with near 0 miles, doesnt mean that the parts within the car are near 0 miles. Im talking tires, and other wear and tear objects.

Depends on the automotive knowledge level of the buyer you find. A knowledgeable buyer might think the "new" engine is a negative for two reasons:

1. The sludge is proof the owner(s) of your car didn't change the oil at least every 6 months of 5,000 miles without fail. So if oil changes were neglected, that raises a red flag that other required preventive maintenance services were delayed / neglected as well.

2. Your "new" engine really isn't new. It's a rebuilt engine. Rebuild by an American rebuilder which likely means it doesn't have the full reliability or durability potential of the factory original engine.

On the other hand, a naive buyer may think your "new" engine is truly factory new from Japan and makes the vehicle worth a couple extra thousand dollars.

Depends on the automotive knowledge level of the buyer you find. A knowledgeable buyer might think the "new" engine is a negative for two reasons:

1. The sludge is proof the owner(s) of your car didn't change the oil at least every 6 months of 5,000 miles without fail. So if oil changes were neglected, that raises a red flag that other required preventive maintenance services were delayed / neglected as well.

2. Your "new" engine really isn't new. It's a rebuilt engine. Rebuild by an American rebuilder which likely means it doesn't have the full reliability or durability potential of the factory original engine.

On the other hand, a naive buyer may think your "new" engine is truly factory new from Japan and makes the vehicle worth a couple extra thousand dollars.

Thanks for the response.

My documented oil changes every 3 -3500 miles will cover #1

The "full reliability or durability potential of the factory original engine" is of coarse completly lost on me, but I do understand your point and the sensible logic behind it.

My dealer says the "new" engine won't have the sludge problem - I think I need to ask him a few more pointed questions as to what Lexus considers a new engine. And what they have done to solve the problem.

I'm sure most buyers would want to discuss this in detail.

All in all I'm thinking the value is really not changed much at all by this. Maybe the warr. might lead to a quicker sale but not much as far as $

The positives seem balanced by the negitives.

Follow up

I just spoke with the dealer and it's a new block, heads ect... from lexus, He stated nothing is remanufactured - all new. The only re-used parts are electric. What is the best way to verify this ?

My dealings with this dealer have been very very positive, but like Reagan said trust but verify

Thanks for the response.

My documented oil changes every 3 -3500 miles will cover #1

ahhhhhaaaa....hey monarch.....I guess this didn't fit you're agenda too well did it!!!!!!

Winger, just to let you know, monarch is a shill for Toyota/Lexus and will cry "owner's fault" to his dying breath (which seems soon in this forum due to recent outings of him). Pay no attention to his "you didn't maintain it properly" posts. He's a one-trick pony, and not much of a trick at that.

Here's my OPINION as a buyer. I'd wonder why you're selling it IMMEDIATELY after the engine replacement. Don't you trust the "fix"? (What I'd be thinking, not a question for you).

No, I'd be much more comfortable after you've run it a bit and are happy with the new engine. Even then, I say the new engine is a small advantage, but not huge.

Good luck.

Here's my OPINION as a buyer. I'd wonder why you're selling it IMMEDIATELY after the engine replacement. Don't you trust the "fix"? (What I'd be thinking, not a question for you).

No, I'd be much more comfortable after you've run it a bit and are happy with the new engine. Even then, I say the new engine is a small advantage, but not huge.

Good luck.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm going to price it just below retail and go from there.

I'm selling it because I wasn't real happy about the awd perfomance on snow and the poor turning radious-so we decided to by a Yukon. I do miss the fit and finish and "tightness"of the lexus but in the snow the Yukon rocks {although the "tupperware dash" of GM stuff will take some getting used to.}

The engine blew as I was driving it to my detailer to buff and fluff prior to showing it to an acquaintance who wanted to buy it. Just my luck 5 min. before I go to sell it, the engine grenades. This one didn't go quietly it was slamming and hard knocking at 60mph. Scared the heck out of me. I cut my hand on my wifes stupid key ring trying to shut it down I was so freaked.

I think I'm cursed 'cause a similar thing happened during a check ride with a boat I was selling a few years ago. After a few hours of snorting around on the water and this buyer going over every inch and hours of reviewing records, more questions, inspecting etc...., we stopped in the middle of a lake and he wrote the check.

Then on the way back -maybe 20 yards from the dock the lower unit went bye bye and so did my buyer with his check ! Another fun day on the lake in Minnesota.

Hey your lucky to unload it before the transmisson fails and double whammies you. You must have an angel above, getting the engine before the warranty period was up. After that you would have been sucking big dollars and padding the pockets of Lexus of America. Good luck with your Yukon, not my choice, but best of luck to you and congradulations on dumping the RX300 AWD