How To Repair Dash Crack?

blake918

I noticed two very small cracks in my dash yesterday. Wouldn't you know it's in a very visible area of the dash above the center air vents. :censored: I think I'm going to get some of Leatherique's crack filler since they list it as one of the product's usages. Anyone else have a cracked dash? Is this going to spread like wildfire? Any other repair suggestions?

I was stunned by how thin the vynl is that they use on the dash--literally paper thin. That in mind, I guess it's not to suprising that it cracked after 10 years of not being garaged.

Uh okay i've got some experience here.......first one go to langleys and get that dash shell(it's tan) about a hundred buck prolly but that means that you'll be down about two or three days taking hardware in and out........the other is to order a vinyl kit to recover.....they are really nice and you can get a good match most of the time, i am guess it is the soft padded vinyl that has cracked right? if it is a hard plastic peice....gut out all the way to where you can get to the underside and granb thin tiny peice of tin or metal (i like taking the little expansion covers off the back of my PC) and then sand the metal real good and then lightly sand the underside where the crack is....apply two ton epoxy and use some upward force to where the epoxy squeezes up through the crack a little bit, and really just a little bit, don't let it get everywhere. then go to car quest(lafayette branch) and get some semtek vinyl dye to match the color, they have it. get a small amount because it doesn't hold for a long time in the can, next go to a craft store or wal mart and get a model airplane air brush kit....sand the little bit of epoxy that came up through the crack down close to level with the surface, easy cause you don't want to sand the dash because it's soft and textured....then useing some finesse lightly coat with that dye, it's very tough and won't peel or scratch( i tested my dash by scratching with a knife to see if it would take it) and when you are done you should just see a tiny tiny smooth line where the crack was.....it's really easier than it sounds, but it's kind of tedious, uh where is the crack at exactly?

Wow, great response SD!! Here's a pic: post-1461-1142989053_thumb.jpg . It's right above the 2 ac vents in the center of the dash. They are just flesh wounds, all of the material underneath is still intact. Ideally, I'd like to pick up that one at Langleys and install it when I have the time, and just for the time being put some filler in there so that it doesn't spread any further.

:cheers:

Yuck! No clue how to help you with this one blake...

I know, it ruined my day when I saw that! It was more of shock than anything else. I'd like to have my upholstry guy take a look at it, but I'm far away from him right now, and I have trust issues with who works on my car LOL, so I guess I'll try to band-aid it for now until I can have him take a look at it. Alternatively, I hope I can find something at that yard SD mentioned.

On a better note, I got my wired mod in, and it sounds great! It's wierd. The sound was great before, but the mod added that last but most important 10% to it, and it's almost cd quality to me! I'm proud of myself for taking the time to run the antenna out to the trunk too. It was a true pain in the !Removed!, but I think it'll be well worth it. Thanks! ;)

Check with your local dealer if they have a vendor that does spot repairs on leather. They may be able to repair your dash as well. I had a crack on the center console repaired on a LS400 I use to own & was told by the service advisor that they can repair door panels & dashes as well.

that isn't as bad as it could be really....but it still bites!

you will defintly need to get to it from underneath and the apply a bit of down pressure too, equally on both sides if you can (maybe a big c clamp?) just be gentle so that it looks unoticable when you are done painting

• 2 weeks later...

Nice movie SD. You guys have a lot of courage. Thanks for keeping US safe!

that isn't as bad as it could be really....but it still bites!

you will defintly need to get to it from underneath and the apply a bit of down pressure too, equally on both sides if you can (maybe a big c clamp?) just be gentle so that it looks unoticable when you are done painting

• 5 years later...