Need Repairs Asap

Hello All,

My wife owns a Lexus GS300 (she had it when we met) that stopped on her today. It had stopped previously a few times, but we got the battery replaced so all was well until today.

Not knowing a good, "reasonably priced" place to take it to (in Columbia, SC), I took it to a local Toyota dealer. They said that the alternator was dead and needed replacing because of a leak, and I would also need the Distributor O-ring and the Serpentine Belt replaced, which they could do fot $855.00.

Since I just replaced brakes on both of our cars within the past two weeks (costing around $350), I am looking for IMMEDIATE ideas on where I could possibly find a better deal. We are recently married, so of course, money is thin.

If anyone has ideas, please let me know ASAP.

Thanks !!!

swlexus

the distributer O-ring eh? Are you kidding me?

I'm in doubt of that, but I'm just skeptical. You should pop your hood, follow the spark plug wires to their central point, and that will be a distributer cap. Follow that distributer until it "meets" the block and that is probably where the "distributer o-ring" would be located. If you don't see an oil leak there, or a bunch of dirt build-up, then, from here, my bench diagnosis is that you don't need it. (do you have oil spots under the engine or under car when parked?)

Now, no offense is meant here, but, did the guy really say that your alternator had a "leak"? That's a new one to me, but then again, I'm just a shadetree mech. from way-back. ;) Can't say I've ever worked on a fancy-schmancy Toyota super--human, nuclear powered, titanium, never fails, sealed with unobtainium runs on cat litter, uber-engine before.

I wasn't aware that a alternator leaked. It either provides optimum spark and the car starts, or it doesn't and the battery dies a slow death. They do fail though, so, you can "kinda" test it for having at least some output by starting the engine, then removing the battery cable (positive) at the battery. If the car stays running, the Alt. is putting out enough power to at least do that much, if the car dies, then the alternater is not doing it's job and it is bad.

An alternator will also not "put out" if the belt is loose. Does yours have much play? It should have an "auto-tensioner" I would think...... Is it pretty old?

How long did that new battery last you? If it was less than 2 weeks or so and the car was driven at least a handful of times, then it does look like your alternator is bad, or the belt was loose.

Look at your Serpentine belt, if you don't see weather cracks all over the place, then it's fine. If you see them, then it should be replaced.

More info will help us to help you. ;)

PS. Alternators and Serpentine belts can be replaced pretty much ANYWHERE! Pep Boys, CarParts USA, NAPA, Firestone, Goodyear, even BP!!! BP ProCare baby!! ;)

I'd say "go get a second opinion".

oil can leak from the distributor since it does connect to the cam shafts is involved in engine oil. theres an o-ring that seals it. but you should take a look and see for your self if its actually leaking. find an auto electronics repair shop that specializes if repair and or rebuild alternators and starter motors and they should give you a preaty fair price but if oil is leakin than get that fixed first.

Let me get this straight. When the distributor leaks it will drip down to the alternator. And it will cause the alternator to go bad. Take it somewhere else to get it fix. Expect to pay around $500.

JPI