Rear Stabilizer Bushings

alright so i went to the dealer and looked under my car. i cant seem to lacate where these damn bushings are. are they the ones in the center of the car or the outer ones attached to the stabilizer bar.....all of them look rounded whilst the one i bought has a strange round shape with a base...

diagrams please?

alright so i went to the dealer and looked under my car. i cant seem to lacate where these damn bushings are. are they the ones in the center of the car or the outer ones attached to the stabilizer bar.....all of them look rounded whilst the one i bought has a strange round shape with a base...

diagrams please?

look buy the wheel. It is a black rubber piece. I have to do mine also.

Find the sway bar and trace it from one side of the car to the other. You will find 2 "U" shaped metal brackets that are about 15" or so from the wheels (towards the middle of the car). Inside these metal brackets are the rubber bushings. IIRC the bushings are rounded on one end and squared on the other with a slit in between to slide the sway bar into them. There are 2 bolts that hold each metal bracket in place. Remove the bolts, slide the metal brackets off then remove the bushings. Put the new ones on and slide the metal brackets back in place and bolt them on and you're done.

You'll notice that on the new bushings there is a series of rubber ridges that run around the inside part that makes contact with the sway bar. The ridges on the old bushings will probably be worn down which is why they are making noise.

yayy it worked....no more retarded sounds!....

hard to beleive a piece of rubber made that much noise...

Yeah, I did mine last week and it definitely is strange that what seemed to be slight wear in a piece of rubber could make so much difference!

I couldn't for the life of me get the lug nuts off, so managed to do the job by crawling under the car. Major pain (tight quarters) but it worked.

• 3 weeks later...

I did mine this past weekend. Not more issues! Unreal that it worked..

Here are a few fix: You can see why they make noise! Notice the "lack of ribs in ID" and the larger Dia hole (due to wear).

http://home.comcast.net/~buy_25/bushing1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~buy_25/bushing2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~buy_25/bushing3.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~buy_25/bushing4.jpg

Thanks to this thread and the "golf balls in trunk"! Best $14.78 spent so far on the car (to fix).

Thanks everyone!

Find the sway bar and trace it from one side of the car to the other. You will find 2 "U" shaped metal brackets that are about 15" or so from the wheels (towards the middle of the car). Inside these metal brackets are the rubber bushings. IIRC the bushings are rounded on one end and squared on the other with a slit in between to slide the sway bar into them. There are 2 bolts that hold each metal bracket in place. Remove the bolts, slide the metal brackets off then remove the bushings. Put the new ones on and slide the metal brackets back in place and bolt them on and you're done.

You'll notice that on the new bushings there is a series of rubber ridges that run around the inside part that makes contact with the sway bar. The ridges on the old bushings will probably be worn down which is why they are making noise.

Does the car need to be jacked or anything during this procedure?

Does the car need to be jacked or anything during this procedure?

Yes and support it too! Just need those things and I think 12mm socket and I used a 6" extention with 1/2 drive. Took about 20 minutes. Also lubed the new bushing contact area with (what else synthetic grease).