Advice- First Date With An Older Woman...

preacherzson

Hi Y'all...

I am newly aspiring to become Lexus owner. My mazda millenia was totalled in a hit and run, :chairshot: :censored: :cries: so I looked around for a luxury vehicle, and came to the conclusion that for the money, the LS400 beats the pants off of everything else including the ES300 and GS300. So, that's my introduction.

I'm going to look at a 96 with 177k on it on Thursday. I read the sticky on what to look for when shopping, so I'm going to take the VIN to a dealer tomorrow, etc. However, I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with a LS with that many miles, or any suggestions about what I should expect to have replaced?

Maybe a better place to start would be to ask what should I be looking for on the dealer service print out (what should have already been replaced?)

Thanks- I look forward to joining the ranks.

Hi Y'all...

I am newly aspiring to become Lexus owner. My mazda millenia was totalled in a hit and run,:chairshot: :censored::cries: so I looked around for a luxury vehicle, and came to the conclusion that for the money, the LS400 beats the pants off of everything else including the ES300 and GS300. So, that's my introduction.

I'm going to look at a 96 with 177k on it on Thursday. I read the sticky on what to look for when shopping, so I'm going to take the VIN to a dealer tomorrow, etc. However, I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with a LS with that many miles, or any suggestions about what I should expect to have replaced?

Maybe a better place to start would be to ask what should I be looking for on the dealer service print out (what should have already been replaced?)

Thanks- I look forward to joining the ranks.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say it beats the "pants off" of the ES and GS models :whistles: . Hahaha. You'll want to becareful there amigo, some of those guys get a weee bit touchy about that. Even if it is....uh....oops...I better stick with the political realm of war, and not Lexus models. hahaha.

Seriously though, you'll want to check for suspension stuff, control arms, STRUT RODS, REAR CARRIER BUSHINGS, that sort of thing. Mechanically in the engine, and at 177k miles, you'll probably find a timing belt and waterpump in there being done at some point. If it's original owner, then it was probably done as scheduled, at 90k miles....which just so happens to be about half of the mileage on there now....which just might be the reason why they're selling it, because they don't see the benefit in dumping $1,500 into the car at the dealership again for the second 90k service. The best thing you can do if you really want our help beyond the written stuff on the forum already, is to get the printout from the dealer and let us know what it says.....and if you take a digital camera with you when you look at the car, snap some pic's and post them up, or better yet, email them to me and I'll post them up for you, as I don't think you have attachment priveledges just yet.

But if you can't, then make sure the timing belt and water pump is good....and hunt for suspension replacement stuff. And maybe steering related stuff, like tie rod ends, or even rack. OH, and power steering pump. If you see that one on there, then look for the altenator replacement as well. Because if the pump failed and leaked, well there is a better than not chance the alternator was or still is damaged due to the fluid from the pump. This is actually stressed in the repair manual for the car, for the tech's to check for when investigating a leaking pump.

After that, we've got a big ole' laundry list for you! Just comes with the pride of owning a Lexus LS400, for the price of a used KIA "aka...killed in accident".

Welcome aboard Preacher! :cheers:

I would do a carfax. And have the dealer inspect the car. Around my area they will do this for around $70.00 dollars. It may not be perfect. But well worth the bucks. Look at the idle with and without electrical load. Any suspension noise while turning slowly. Any wobble or shaking accelerating or braking. Or over speed bumps. Listen to the engine in a car wash bay or simular. This will magnify the engine sounds.

I love my 93ls.

Print out CWL's laymen's guide, and see how she measures up. 177k is chump change for a LS; mine has 273k, and it performs like a new car. Like Rob said, check out the suspension/steering because it is very expensive to fix although not too complicated. The other expensive item to go is the ECU (there is a massive thread on it by 95LS400Bob). It's probably time for the timing belt job (idler pulleys, water pump, tensioner, belt, cam seals, and crank seal.); you can do it yourself for about $300-$400. Also, drive it as long as you can to see how you like the seats.

My car has not a single Lexus serivce to its name (not even the free 30 day check), and I think she is doing just fine for her age. The only important service is the 90k because they do the timing belt et al. Maybe the 60k for the plugs and wires, but that's not nearly as important as the 90k.

:cheers:

My wife has a 96 LS400 with 123,000 miles and she loves it. If everything checks out OK, you'll be getting yourself one heck of a car (to paraphrase the President). In the course of my work in the past month, I've rented a new Impala and a new Deville and drove each about 600 miles. While both had their good features, the 96 LS400 still drove better. That would be my choice if I was given a trade straight up.

Thanks y'all.

The car drove like a dream! I even went and got my wife from work to take her for a ride in it on her lunch. The owner had been pretty religious with maintenance. Everything looked good, sounded good, felt good, BUT, I couldn't verify when or even if the timing belt had ever been replaced. The lexus dealer had no records after 48k, the owner didn't recall ever having had it done, and I called his mechanic (sticker on the windshield matched the photo on Ebay listing) and they said they never did it either. So, I had to pass....sniff, sniff..... :cries: The old girl ended up with an older gentleman anyway, so maybe it's just better that way... But what I do know from my test drives, is that my infatuation with the BMW 740iL is over! I came home and kicked all the Bimmers I was going to see this weekend off the list. Unreliable, unrefined, high-maintenance bavarian pieces of crap! I've always been fascinated with asian women anyway...shoulda just been true to myself all along.

So, I'll be dating around in the Lexus LS/GS family until I find the one for me (yes, I have tamed my opinion somewhat about the LS "beating the pants off of the GS...") and I might even end up with a motorcycle out of the deal as well- how cool is that?