Finally Sold Our "albatross!"

blake918

It was a '94 with 135k, and the tranny broke, so we brought it in to be diagnosed (it seemed to drive ok on occasion, but the o/d off light flashed constantly--and wouldn't go in to overdrive.). The estimate came back with a total over $3k for a tranny rebuild, various mounts, and cv joints. In addition to those issues, the car was wrecked in June by my sister (and once before by the previous owner), the rear clunks, a/c compressor works when it wants to, needles flicker, American Stitches f-ed the steering wheel up, needs new timing belt and items that go with the job, hard and cracked leather, and it leaks oil from cam/crank/valve covers, tranny fluid, and p/s fluid. The guy who was going to work on the car gave us $1,000 for it, and it was his. Around here, mint '94's are going for $3000 +/-, so $1k was more than enough considering the condition the car was in! All of the issues probably could have been fixed cheaply(used tranny and diy most other issues), but we've been somewhat looking to get rid of it, and the right oppertunity presented itself, so we jumped on it!

It was my first car, so there is a little sentimental value, but this albatross was trouble from the second day we had it (literally), so it's somewhat easy to see her go. After this car, I will never in good conscience be able to talk about electrical problems that other cars have issues with since I think just about every possible electrical componet under the hood that can fail on a car did.

This car also taught me one very valuable lesson, and it's that the criteria that most people harp on that make up a good used car (low miles, dealer maint, clean, etc.) mean nothing to me. Our '94 has more dealer stamps than I care to remember, it barely had 100k miles when we got it, and appeared to be in good shape. Almost 3 years to the day and countless problems with the electrical, cooling system, lubrication system, suspension system, etc., etc., etc., it's good to see her move on to share her "issues" with a different, but well informed owner. When I got my LS, it was dirty...no, make that filty, never saw a Lexus service bay after it was preped and sold in '95, and has enough miles for you, me, and you're brother, and it is by far the most reliable car I've ever owned.

Here she is in her prime which was when I drove her (it seriously went down hill when my dad took over, then my sister.)....

DSC00054.sized.jpg

DSC00051.sized.jpg

DSC00062.sized.jpg

The '94 and her predecessor (the pic is an oldie, but a goodie.)

DSC00363.sized.jpg

A much relieved,

blake918

:cheers:

She'll always have a special place in your heart :) My fiance would swear I need therapy because of the attatchment I have with my first car- 92 Accord. Sold it in 02 but still can't bear to see one driving down the road. :)

Oh yeah, she'll be hard to forget, especially all the times she left me stranded, there were good times too though! LOL We have a 91 Accord (5spd LX) too! It's a fantastic car, and those seats feel like they were made just for me! It's been completely trouble free except for a clutch around 175k. The paint is rough, but other than that she's mint (no rattles or anything) for 15 years old and 190k miles!

Thats awesome! honda knew what they were doing back then. I had a 5spd EX. Before i bought my camry about a month ago i was looking at the accord, but they were plagued with tranny problems!!! Toyota's got my vote, now that i've got 2 of them :)

This car also taught me one very valuable lesson, and it's that the criteria that most people harp on that make up a good used car (low miles, dealer maint, clean, etc.) mean nothing to me. Our '94 has more dealer stamps than I care to remember, it barely had 100k miles when we got it, and appeared to be in good shape. Almost 3 years to the day and countless problems with the electrical, cooling system, lubrication system, suspension system, etc., etc., etc., it's good to see her move on to share her "issues" with a different, but well informed owner. When I got my LS, it was dirty...no, make that filty, never saw a Lexus service bay after it was preped and sold in '95, and has enough miles for you, me, and you're brother, and it is by far the most reliable car I've ever owned.

I think thats probably just a function of the LS being a more solid and overall superior vehicle to the ES, which it should be considering its about twice as expensive. I love my ES, but its not as solid with age as the LS is.