1st Generation Acceleration. Very Interesting.

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

I hope you're OK.

I have lots of old car magazines. I especially enjoy reading the late 1989 issues. I love the 'Introducing Lexus' ads and the preview photos and road tests of both new Lexus models. [and the Acura NSX]

In the December 1989 issue of Car & Driver there is a 'Seven Car Luxury Comparison Test'.

The seven cars included in that test are:

[listed in order from last place to first - the winner being named last]

[the 'Editors Ratings' - to a maximum of 35 points - are in bold]

Cadillac STS [13]

Mercedes-Benz 420SEL [tied for fifth] [15]

Jaguar Sovereign [tied for fifth] [15]

BMW 735i [24]

Audi V8 Quattro [26]

Infiniti Q45 [28]

Lexus LS400 [32]

That all said...

What I found most interesting were the 0 to 60 mph - 30 to 50 mph and 50 to 70 mph test results.

Here they are.

0 to 60 MPH [in seconds]

Cadillac 9.2

Mercedes 9.3

Jaguar 9.6

BMW 10.3

Audi 10.2

Infiniti 7.9

Lexus 8.6

30 to 50 MPH

Cadillac 4.7

Mercedes 5.7

Jaguar 4.5

BMW 4.6

Audi 4.3

Infiniti 4.6

Lexus 3.9

50 to 70 MPH

Cadillac 6.2

Mercedes 6.2

Jaguar 5.9

BMW 6.0

Audi 5.9

Infiniti 5.0

Lexus 5.0

It's the comparison between the Infiniti Q45 and the Lexus LS400 that I find most interesting.

Although the Infiniti is quicker to 60 MPH than the Lexus - the Lexus is quicker from 30 to 50 MPH and ties the Infiniti from 50 to 70 MPH. The 'soft-launch' that we are all familiar with is obviously misleading. The LS400 really gets going once it's on the move. The BMW and Audi are similarly impressive. A lot to do with the willingness of a transmission to downshift into first and second gear. [i would imagine]

I couldn't sleep so I hope some of you found this interesting!! lol

Craig!! :)

Hi Guys!! :)

I hope you're OK.

I have lots of old car magazines. I especially enjoy reading the late 1989 issues. I love the 'Introducing Lexus' ads and the preview photos and road tests of both new Lexus models. [and the Acura NSX]

In the December 1989 issue of Car & Driver there is a 'Seven Car Luxury Comparison Test'.

The seven cars included in that test are:

[listed in order from last place to first - the winner being named last]

[the 'Editors Ratings' - to a maximum of 35 points - are in bold]

Cadillac STS [13]

Mercedes-Benz 420SEL [tied for fifth] [15]

Jaguar Sovereign [tied for fifth] [15]

BMW 735i [24]

Audi V8 Quattro [26]

Infiniti Q45 [28]

Lexus LS400 [32]

That all said...

What I found most interesting were the 0 to 60 mph - 30 to 50 mph and 50 to 70 mph test results.

Here they are.

0 to 60 MPH [in seconds]

Cadillac 9.2

Mercedes 9.3

Jaguar 9.6

BMW 10.3

Audi 10.2

Infiniti 7.9

Lexus 8.6

30 to 50 MPH

Cadillac 4.7

Mercedes 5.7

Jaguar 4.5

BMW 4.6

Audi 4.3

Infiniti 4.6

Lexus 3.9

50 to 70 MPH

Cadillac 6.2

Mercedes 6.2

Jaguar 5.9

BMW 6.0

Audi 5.9

Infiniti 5.0

Lexus 5.0

It's the comparison between the Infiniti Q45 and the Lexus LS400 that I find most interesting.

Although the Infiniti is quicker to 60 MPH than the Lexus - the Lexus is quicker from 30 to 50 MPH and ties the Infiniti from 50 to 70 MPH. The 'soft-launch' that we are all familiar with is obviously misleading. The LS400 really gets going once it's on the move. The BMW and Audi are similarly impressive. A lot to do with the willingness of a transmission to downshift into first and second gear. [i would imagine]

I couldn't sleep so I hope some of you found this interesting!! lol

Made my morning, Thanx :cheers:

Could you scan the actual articals and post ?

Every now and then I take a look at your NSX and I really like the car, Must be a blast to drive. B)

Every now and then I take a look at your NSX and I really like the car, Must be a blast to drive. B)

David, I think I've read that article before after someone posted the pdf's of the article on Club Lexus. I'll see if I can find it again and link it up. ;)

David, I think I've read that article before after someone posted the pdf's of the article on Club Lexus. I'll see if I can find it again and link it up. ;)

Thanx Blake, Nice avitar ;) How is doogie doing ?

Here is an article from the November 1989 issue of Automobile Magazine comparing the new LS400 with the Infinity Q45, Audi V8, BMW 535i and Mercedes 300E.

This is the article that first got me into a Lexus showroom and led me to buy an LS400 in early 1990.

post-2157-1142180437_thumb.jpg

post-2157-1142180464_thumb.jpg

post-2157-1142180500_thumb.jpg

post-2157-1142180530_thumb.jpg

post-2157-1142180565_thumb.jpg

post-2157-1142180596_thumb.jpg

post-2157-1142180628_thumb.jpg

post-2157-1142180657_thumb.jpg

post-2157-1142180682_thumb.jpg

post-2157-1142180712_thumb.jpg

I have fond memories of this article; if I'm not mistaken that issue has a red Ferrari 348 being driven sideways on the cover?

The calm before the storm. Soon after this magazine came out my father and I test drove an LS 400 with a family friend. We were all amazed at how capable, compitent and friendly this car was. The spookiest thing about it was the quiet. So so quiet. A year or so later we drove the Q45....the first generation Q was a bad-!Removed! on the road. I bet my dad still regrets not buying that car.

In retrospect the LS 400 really did wonders for the high end of the automotive market. The MBs, BMWs and Audis of today owe their success to that spunky challenger from Japan that stood up and said Anything you can do, I can do better. Cadillac and Jaguar might still be icons of obsolecence (Cadillac is still somewhat debatable). And of course today's LS has had a fabulous reputation to build upon.

The thing that strikes me now is how dated some of the cars, particularly the Jag and the Caddy look now; the BMW even looks a bit dowdy in these pictures. The original Q45 still looks interesting; and the MB is some variation of a classic car theme. Despite all the ribbing the LS styling got when it came out I think it's the design that aged the best of this group. I still see a well maintained example here and there...and I'm still amazed how contemporary they still look.

Thanks for a great trip down memory lane!

Hi dcfish!! :)

I hope you're OK.

Boy am I glad I didn't have to scan all of those pages [being the lazy so-and-so I am] so a big THANK YOU to blake918 for the link!! :D

As for my NSX - it really is a nice car. I've owned it for well over 10.5 years now. [bought it used from a Vancouver Acura dealer on June 30th, 1995] It now has over 145,000 km's. [just under 90,000 miles] Just this past month though - I've been having a big problem with a windshield molding. I had my windshield replaced because of a rock chip. [the chip has been there for years - but I decided that since the NSX is no longer being built - maybe I should replace the glass - while I still can] Well anyways - the guy who installed the windshield installed the upper molding wrong. [backwards - I think] HE was absolutely sure that HE did it right. "There is no other way TO install it", he said. What a pain. I'm so tired of arrogance. Here he is - a guy who has never SEEN an NSX up close [so he tells me] and he's arguing WITH me about whether or not the molding he installed is as it should be. So I ended up fretting about that along with my Lexus. At first they said it was an updated molding and they no longer make one for my year. So I FIRST tried to find an 'original' molding'. But as it turns out - the molding itself is exactly the same. [size and shape wise] It was changed only in what it was made of - to keep it from shrinking over time. That huge hurdle dealt with - I THEN had to find proof that they installed the molding wrong. I finally found what I was looking for and emailed them a copy. Their response? "You will have to book another appointment." And that was it. No, "we are sorry for the trouble" or anything like that. What I need to buy is a big barn so I can drag a few people behind it and kick their !Removed!!! lol :P Oh well... I've got an appointment this Wednesday to give them yet another chance to install the molding. It's been over a month dealing with this. Anyone with half a brain could tell the molding wasn't installed correctly. Not only does it look like I installed it - but it makes a tremendous wind noise about 40 mph. Sheesh.

Have you ever seen my little 'NSX VIDEOS'? If not - they can be found on my cardomain page.

It is my belief that both the NSX and the LS400 did more to change the automotive world than any other two cars in the past several decades. [at least insofar as sports cars and luxury cars are concerned] It is why they have always been my dream cars. I consider myself lucky to own both of them. [and that's said with the firm belief that my LS400 will - someday - perform as it was designed to do so]

Take care of yourself,

Hi dcfish!! :)

I hope you're OK.

Boy am I glad I didn't have to scan all of those pages [being the lazy so-and-so I am] so a big THANK YOU to blake918 for the link!! :D

As for my NSX - it really is a nice car. I've owned it for well over 10.5 years now. [bought it used from a Vancouver Acura dealer on June 30th, 1995] It now has over 145,000 km's. [just under 90,000 miles] Just this past month though - I've been having a big problem with a windshield molding. I had my windshield replaced because of a rock chip. [the chip has been there for years - but I decided that since the NSX is no longer being built - maybe I should replace the glass - while I still can] Well anyways - the guy who installed the windshield installed the upper molding wrong. [backwards - I think] HE was absolutely sure that HE did it right. "There is no other way TO install it", he said. What a pain. I'm so tired of arrogance. Here he is - a guy who has never SEEN an NSX up close [so he tells me] and he's arguing WITH me about whether or not the molding he installed is as it should be. So I ended up fretting about that along with my Lexus. At first they said it was an updated molding and they no longer make one for my year. So I FIRST tried to find an 'original' molding'. But as it turns out - the molding itself is exactly the same. [size and shape wise] It was changed only in what it was made of - to keep it from shrinking over time. That huge hurdle dealt with - I THEN had to find proof that they installed the molding wrong. I finally found what I was looking for and emailed them a copy. Their response? "You will have to book another appointment." And that was it. No, "we are sorry for the trouble" or anything like that. What I need to buy is a big barn so I can drag a few people behind it and kick their !Removed!!! lol :P Oh well... I've got an appointment this Wednesday to give them yet another chance to install the molding. It's been over a month dealing with this. Anyone with half a brain could tell the molding wasn't installed correctly. Not only does it look like I installed it - but it makes a tremendous wind noise about 40 mph. Sheesh.

Have you ever seen my little 'NSX VIDEOS'? If not - they can be found on my cardomain page.

It is my belief that both the NSX and the LS400 did more to change the automotive world than any other two cars in the past several decades. [at least insofar as sports cars and luxury cars are concerned] It is why they have always been my dream cars. I consider myself lucky to own both of them. [and that's said with the firm belief that my LS400 will - someday - perform as it was designed to do so]

Take care of yourself,

Canada, I am not quite sure what you mean by " are you ok " PM me

Sorry to hear about the windshield issue, I for one can't stand ignorance when it comes to mechanics but sh$t happens all too often. :censored: