Nav System- Gps Problems

2006 RX400h

My GPS has started acting very strange, it started about two weeks ago. The GPS mapping was several miles off the correct location. I went into the menu and was able to adjust my position, and everything worked fine for about a week, then it happened again. This has happened 3 times now, and it appears my position has been off anywhere from several block to 6+ miles, it also loses orientation (direction). This is getting very annoying.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

NOTE: I did upgrade the DVD to ver 5, which is listed as compatable w/ my Nav. The system worked great for 3 weeks after the update and started freaking out 3 weeks after the install.

im doing this from memory but it seems to me it takes more than one antenna for the nav to triangulate your position accurately, and it sounds like one of them is not working. there is a nav antenna in the back of the vehicle as well. i bet your dealer can figure it out for you.

im doing this from memory but it seems to me it takes more than one antenna for the nav to triangulate your position accurately, and it sounds like one of them is not working. there is a nav antenna in the back of the vehicle as well. i bet your dealer can figure it out for you.

I have never seen a GPS use more than one antennea....it uses more than one satellite to triangulate.

I also doubt the antennea is at issue as I am getting a lock, just the wrong one. The antennea either works or doesnt....there is no middle ground. This has to be some sort of software glitch.

I am reluctant to take it to the dealer since I added the DVD update myself.

I have owned over a dozen GPS devices (mostly Garmin hand held units and Street Pilots) in the past 6+ years and have never experienced anything like this....very starange.

I am reluctant to take it to the dealer since I added the DVD update myself.

Is there some process involved to do this update? Is it not simply a matter of inserting the new disk into the DVD drive and turning on the system?

If so, can't you simply put the old disk back in and see if you still have this problem?

If the problem persists, then you need to take the car in to have it fixed... if all is well with the old disk, then I would go get my money back on the update.

From what has been described of it, sounds like the update is a waste of $300.

no, you cant put the old disc back in, by doing that, the computer had to rewrite over something, and anything that is a downgrade will not work...thats how i heard it, might not be the best explanation. You probably should have went to the dealer to do the update, only 200 dollars more than what you paid...i dont think they can help me now...any sort of warranty might be cancelled because of this

I just called the dealer so i wasnt guessing, in the 400h the black antenna in the back handles the main signal for the nav, however there is also an antenna in the rear window that gives it a boost. He did say that he did not think it was an antenna or a dvd problem, he thot it could be any one of 3 or 4 'small' issues that are fixable. He said bring it in.