Fog Lights

lwiener

I know that you are supposed to use fog lights only in fog and not as extra driving/side of road lighting. But I always thought you turned the fog lights on in addition to the low-beam headlights.

Now I saw a comment elsewhere indicating that best practice is to turn off the regular headlights in fog and rely on the fog lights alone for best visibility and reduced distraction to oncoming drivers.

Is that right? Turn off headlights? Or should fog lights be used in combination with regular headlights?

The fog lights on your Lexus will only operate when the headlight switch is on low beam.....they'll switch off if you use the high beam. I would say that this combination will give you the best light in foggy conditions. There have been a few Lexus owners that rewired their cars so the fog lights can be used regardless of the headlight switch position, but I personally would not do this. I guess the Lexus Company had good reason for setting up the switching controls this way. :)

The fog lights on your Lexus will only operate when the headlight switch is on low beam.....they'll switch off if you use the high beam. I would say that this combination will give you the best light in foggy conditions. There have been a few Lexus owners that rewired their cars so the fog lights can be used regardless of the headlight switch position, but I personally would not do this. I guess the Lexus Company had good reason for setting up the switching controls this way. :)

Agreed. B)

:cheers:

During deer-rutting season (mid-October through mid-January in my neck of the woods) I use my fog lights in addition to my low-beams because it provides increased width of light projection along both sides of the road. This enables me to spot deer standing or running near the side of the road a second or so sooner than would have been the case if I had been using low-beams alone and sometimes even high-beams. I've experienced several situations over the last few years when this prevented me from crashing into the deer because it gave me an extra second or so to brake, maneuver, or simply watch the animal for signs of movement towards me.

In my opinion they don't do much in the fog. I leave the switch to "ON" all the time. At night the road looks brighter with them. Don't know if they will be blowing out on me too soon??

I hadn't known that the foglights only came on when the low beams do; but they do. I guess that's designed for people that want them on at night all the time, every night (like me!). It would be a pain to have to switch them on everytime the lights came on when it got dark. I just put the stick on "AUTO" it takes care of itself.

I "accidently" had the foglights on in my old rx300. I didn't even know they were on; there's no idiot light in the dash of the Rx300 for the fog lights...

I always have mine on. More than helping me see, it helps me be seen.

I swithed out the lame stock H3s with PIAA ion crystals for a little change of color.

steviej

I was thinking about changing the fogs on the rx300 to xenons (thought that since they're IN the headlight unit i wouldn't need to take the bumper off) but i couldn't even SEE the, nevermind reach them.

So now I know and I tried it: The fog lights come on only with the low-beam headlights so that is that as far as how to use them.

It is interesting that some here like to use the fog lights all the time and I can see the rationale. But here in the D.C. area there has been somewhat of a commotion about that in car columns in the Wash. Post and a local Maryland suburban weekly.

A number of readers wrote in to defend constant use of fog lights and argue its benefits. Others complained that they are distractions, unneeded for normal driving, and shouldn't be allowed.

Some of the debate seems to get confused with poorly adjusted lights and some people seem to confuse the fog lights with extra lights and high-intensity lights.

Auto lights in general seem to generate emotions.

I also, always have mine on.

The old yellow ones just look so cool, you can't leave them off LoL!

+1 modding the relay feed so the fogs are on anytime you wish

+2 'cause the extremely bright yellow tinted projector fogs look so pimp with the 6000K phillips HID's

woot woot!