My Final Decision About Samsung And Lexus

This is it, after many months of working with various models of phones I feel confident in saying this:

Samsung phones are NOT compatable with Lexus!

Every, and i mean EVERY, samsung phone that has ever been brought to me for one reason or another has had problems with the lexus system. Be it Verizon, Sprint, Cingular...any service provider, the samsung phones just have problems with constantly disconnecting, reconnecting, calls not going through to the lexus soundsystem...everything. My honest opinion is this: If you own or looking to own a lexus and you are getting or have a new phone, do not get a samsung. I do not harbor any aggression or ill-content towards Samsung in any way, I just want to save all current and potential Lexus owners grief, time, and money. I am sorry if you are a fan of Samsung products, you may go ahead and get one to use with your car if you wish, but you have been warned.

If you do want to know a phone brand that will work, I would have to say Motorola. Now, I am not saying this as a fan of their product, which I am not. I actually prefer Sony Ericsson over anything else, and I find the Motorola UI to be annoying and I absolutly hate the keypad on the RAZR, but I have to say this...They work without a hitch.

About two weeks ago I had a very nice customer come in who needed her phone number transfered into her car, and being on Verizon, she couldn't. I put all of her numbers into my work phone (Sony Ericsson T637) and transfered them for her. I then proceeded to show her the functions of the call system, one touch dial, everying. In all of our attempts her Samsung SCH-A950 would not function correctly, the calls would not come in throught system or we couldnt hear anything. Samsung phones do not have any expanded bluetooth options to direct where calls should go, be it to the handset or headset, unlike many other phone manufactures do. Even after I thought I had figured everything out and got it working, she grabbed me as I was heading out to help another customer and said it would no longer connect. In the end the only thing I could tell her was to take it back and get a different phone. She did, she picked up a Motorola (she didn't say which model in her email to me) and said she would let me know if there were any problems. I have not heard from her since. That is the problem with this job, I only see our customers if they have a problem, and if I do my job correct, I will never hear from them again.

Some of you may remember I had posted back in Decemeber in regards to another instance I had with the SCH-A950 with another customer. Doing the exact same things as the instance described above, some times working, some times not. The only solution I could find for him was that there was a firmware update coming out with within the next week or two. I had not heard from him since, until about a half an hour ago. He was still having the exact same problems as prior even after the fireware update. I unfortunatly had to tell him that I could do nothing for him, I believe he is on his way back to Verizon to get a Motorola phone.

I have had the same problems with the (MM)SPH-A900, and i believe the A970.

I hope this helps someone prevent would could be a frusterating time in the future.

This is it, after many months of working with various models of phones I feel confident in saying this:

Every, and i mean EVERY, samsung phone that has ever been brought to me for one reason or another has had problems with the lexus system. Be it Verizon, Sprint, Cingular...any service provider, the samsung phones just have problems with constantly disconnecting, reconnecting, calls not going through to the lexus soundsystem...everything. My honest opinion is this: If you own or looking to own a lexus and you are getting or have a new phone, do not get a samsung. I do not harbor any aggression or ill-content towards Samsung in any way, I just want to save all current and potential Lexus owners grief, time, and money. I am sorry if you are a fan of Samsung products, you may go ahead and get one to use with your car if you wish, but you have been warned.

If you do want to know a phone brand that will work, I would have to say Motorola. Now, I am not saying this as a fan of their product, which I am not. I actually prefer Sony Ericsson over anything else, and I find the Motorola UI to be annoying and I absolutly hate the keypad on the RAZR, but I have to say this...They work without a hitch.

About two weeks ago I had a very nice customer come in who needed her phone number transfered into her car, and being on Verizon, she couldn't. I put all of her numbers into my work phone (Sony Ericsson T637) and transfered them for her. I then proceeded to show her the functions of the call system, one touch dial, everying. In all of our attempts her Samsung SCH-A950 would not function correctly, the calls would not come in throught system or we couldnt hear anything. Samsung phones do not have any expanded bluetooth options to direct where calls should go, be it to the handset or headset, unlike many other phone manufactures do. Even after I thought I had figured everything out and got it working, she grabbed me as I was heading out to help another customer and said it would no longer connect. In the end the only thing I could tell her was to take it back and get a different phone. She did, she picked up a Motorola (she didn't say which model in her email to me) and said she would let me know if there were any problems. I have not heard from her since. That is the problem with this job, I only see our customers if they have a problem, and if I do my job correct, I will never hear from them again.

Some of you may remember I had posted back in Decemeber in regards to another instance I had with the SCH-A950 with another customer. Doing the exact same things as the instance described above, some times working, some times not. The only solution I could find for him was that there was a firmware update coming out with within the next week or two. I had not heard from him since, until about a half an hour ago. He was still having the exact same problems as prior even after the fireware update. I unfortunatly had to tell him that I could do nothing for him, I believe he is on his way back to Verizon to get a Motorola phone.

I hope this helps someone prevent would could be a frusterating time in the future.

I have a Samsung i730 PDA Phone and it works fine in my RX-400h. The only problem I'm having is transferring phone numbers to the phone book. The name appears but the number doesn't. It is only represented by vertical bars. I assume this is because the number is stored on my phone with ( ) around the area code.

• 1 month later...

I had the SPH-A900 Samsung phone, and just got the Lexus. I've worked at it for hours, and have made a bluetooth connection, but can get no farther. No sound, can't make or receive calls, etc.

Since the original post was about a month ago - has anyone learned more that may help make the phone-car combo work?

• 3 weeks later...

Soon after purchasing my new Lexus, I went to the local Sprint store to get a bluetooth phone. I am currently a Sprint customer. Imagine my surprise when the sales dude tells me that Sprint does not have any phones that work with Lexus. That store cannot successfully get any Sprint phone to work with any Lexus, so he recommended I go to another phone company. Sprint has mainly Samsung bluetooth phones so I will be avoiding the Sammys as I cancel my Sprint contract and move probably to Cingular.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, I am a VZW customer, but I recently used my girlfriend's SPRINT Samsung T608 phone and was able to transfer my entire phone book in one shot. Something that most other phones cannot accomplish. I can't comment on the call quality, but not many phones out there can transfer your whole phone book in one shot to the Lex system.

• 4 weeks later...

i got the new samsung a-920 (the blade's cousin) for Sprint. I have not had much trouble with my bluetooth connection. Once in a while, it is a little flaky...but pretty consistent so far...

What vehicle do you have? I have an RX400H, just got the A920. It is exhibiting all of the problems noted above by LexTacoma - works once in a while, other times it shows as connected but the audio stays on the phone, etc. The Bluetooth connection also seems to go on and off for no apparent reason :wacko: