Transmission Filter Works Great!

SupraMan

SK, I feel the difference with improved shifts incorporating a Raybestos filter into the trans cooler line as you suggested. Love the better response overall; seems to be noticably smoother under full load 2-3 shift. And know that I appreciate input about the reduced line pressure with an external cooler addition, that's one project that will be shelved for a while with this insight.

I'm going to drop the transmission pan & clean it, and change the filter now. After a search (yeah, I looked first! :D ), I couldn't find any reference on torque applied to the 18 or so bolts holding the pan. Also, if I read correctly, there will be around 3.5 qt. of fluid to be replaced in this filter replacement proceedure, right?

Thanks again guys, it's nice having an e-resource!

:cheers:

Sounds great! I wouldn't worry too much about the pressure drop. you can always adjust pressure higher (For that matter you can read the pressure & contrast & compair if you wanted too.

I don't have the '94 Camry repair manual infront of my (I just reformatted), but as a rule of thumb, all internal transmission 10mm bolts are "finger tighten" to about 7-8 lb/ft & the transmission pan bolts are like 3-4 lb/ft.

Not being negative or anything but how does the fluid filter enhance the fluid capability vs shifting patterns? I could see a different fluid yes, but a filter only, hmmm.

To me, that is like me saying a Amsoil, Mobil, wix or Toyota will all make the engine give a feel of more HP, quicker accl or more MPG.

Not being negative or anything but how does the fluid filter enhance the fluid capability vs shifting patterns? I could see a different fluid yes, but a filter only, hmmm.

To me, that is like me saying a Amsoil, Mobil, wix or Toyota will all make the engine give a feel of more HP, quicker accl or more MPG.

MB, I'm not sure about the dynamics or physics of this, but conjecture prefiltered fluid had suspended metallic particles that affected the A/T's performance. I'm all about mataining things to last longer and work better. Not ASE certified or even working daily in a garage environment, I am at a loss why it works better. BUT, it does work better with a smoother shift transition (between 2-3 especially) ar higher loads. I didn't say it ET's lower, just shifting noticably smoother with some loud pedal on. :cheers:

Sounds great! I wouldn't worry too much about the pressure drop. you can always adjust pressure higher (For that matter you can read the pressure & contrast & compair if you wanted too.

I don't have the '94 Camry repair manual infront of my (I just reformatted), but as a rule of thumb, all internal transmission 10mm bolts are "finger tighten" to about 7-8 lb/ft & the transmission pan bolts are like 3-4 lb/ft.

Thx, Toys ... this A/T preventive maintenance is new to me, I'm one of those anal guys who needs to torque by the book. Doing it by feel for me mostly works, don't wanna guess when big $$$ might be the consequence of a dumbass missed cue. :cheers: