Good Bye For Now

agc

Well, here is a quick history.

I posted a question on this forums asking what my car was worth (2000 LS, 44k, NO Nav/Nak, all records with 2 sets of wheels), people responded and on the same day I got a PM from a member. Long story short he made me an offer and we negotiated a bit; the result my LS is now in OR. Now I need to get a cheaper daily driver (suv), any suggestions between 1998 Toyota 4Runner or 1999 Chevy Tahoe

Thanks to everyone for your help and advise

Well, here is a quick history.

I posted a question on this forums asking what my car was worth (2000 LS, 44k, NO Nav/Nak, all records with 2 sets of wheels), people responded and on the same day I got a PM from a member. Long story short he made me an offer and we negotiated a bit; the result my LS is now in OR. Now I need to get a cheaper daily driver (suv), any suggestions between 1998 Toyota 4Runner or 1999 Chevy Tahoe

Thanks to everyone for your help and advise

Get the Toyota IMHO, No need to leave these forums, Hang around and be part of the community. There are members here which are very/overly active who have cars that should be on other forums, In fact it seems like a soap opera most of the time, You know, chirp,chirp,chirp. Anyway, Feel welcome and stay involved. :cheers:

The 4Runner is a decent vehicle, but that previous generation one was horribly underpowered. A friend of mine had it after owning a lemon of a Chevy Blazer. The vehicle never gave him one problem but he found that he had to really keep that engine gassed to keep it moving. Sounds like not enough power for the amount of weight that truck is.

The Tahoe will definitely not have that issue as I know they have like 5.7L or 5.3L (depending on model year) V8s.... but will most likely be a rattle trap in a few years. I'm sure the Tahoe can tow more, if that's what you're after.

Neither of them seem that "cheap" to me just because of the crappy mileage they'll get.

A bias reply, but I would go for a 4-runner. I have a 96, bought new, and still have it. 175,000 miles, 21 MPG, rare repairs (rear seals), low maint. Comfortable ride. Classic exterior.

I respectfully disagree that a 1998 4-runner is horribly underpowered. True, the generation prior to 1996 had a 150 HP V6, which was not enough for a truck this size. Beginning in 1996, HP on the SR5s went up to 183... not fantastic, but adequate for the weight of the truck, in my opinion. You are not going to win a drag race, but the truck will cruise fine and dandy at high speed, and the torque is plenty to pull you out of muck and mire in 4 wheel.

Tahoe is bigger all around (engine/interior, etc). I have known a number of folks who bought them and like them. Depends on your needs. A 98 4-runner is not going to haul drywall; it is a smaller SUV compared to the gargantuans out there.

If you plan on keeping it awhile, and since you say you want a cheaper daily driver, I would go 4-runner.

Just my 2 cents but I'd stick with Toyota...neighbor has a 4 runner and loves it.

I see you are in NYC. I'd also suggest a gen 1 ls400. From what I have seen they go pretty cheap up there and if you shop, you might find a cream puff which who knows maybe we'll also buy. I'll bet some old lady has one in CT right now with 25k miles...woohoo. Just gotta find it.

Goodbye for now, implies you will be back with a Lexus....Stay with us... You can skip my ramblings :chairshot: and keep up with the posts but I hope you return with a Lexus..but in the meantime, I agree, the Toyota is your best bet!! Stay in the family :ph34r::cheers:

I agree with J. Barleycorn re the power of the 3.4 liter 4-Runners. That engine has plenty of power for that size vehicle.

I have owned two 4-Runners. The first was a 1995 model with the 3 liter V-6. This vehicle was woefully underpowered. I would not recommend it to anyone. After owning this one about two years, I sold it and bought a 96 with the 3.4 liter. The power output was significantly greater, and the gas mileage was better.

All of the post-1995 4-Runners are great vehicles.