Self Oil Change?

Most dealerships around here charge closer to $80 for an oil change. Besides, I don't trust the 18 year olds who end up changing the oil at some "other" shops. I'd much rather do it, myself; I feel better that way.

That's exactly my experience with Walmart for oil changes. It's very convenient to shop while the work is being done until they mess up. In my case they left off the crush washer from the drain plug on my Porsche, tried twice to "solve the problem" with additional tightening of the drain plug, then argued with me about removing the plug to check out the problem because "they would lose all the new oil."

Tom

Most dealerships around here charge closer to $80 for an oil change. Besides, I don't trust the 18 year olds who end up changing the oil at some "other" shops. I'd much rather do it, myself; I feel better that way.

That's exactly my experience with Walmart for oil changes. It's very convenient to shop while the work is being done until they mess up. In my case they left off the crush washer from the drain plug on my Porsche, tried twice to "solve the problem" with additional tightening of the drain plug, then argued with me about removing the plug to check out the problem because "they would lose all the new oil."

Tom

You took a Porche to Walmart! OMG

Thanks for your opinions, Randy. They are certainly not worthless! The K&N oil filter that I use has generated nothing but good reviews; that and the fact that it has that super-handy welded-on nut keeps me buying one for every change of oil, both for the RX400h and my Corvette.

Regarding oils and ambient temps: There may be a slight advantage to using 10W-30 oils in hot climate areas ONLY if we're talking regular dino oil. If we're talking synthetics, 10W-30 is essentially, obsolete, even in Arizona. I spoke to a Mobil 1 tech rep not too long ago and he assured me that 5W-30 does flow better at startup temps - yes, even at 70 degrees F, than does 10W-30 Mobil 1. If fact, this guy lives in Texas and uses 0W-40 Mobile 1.

Best regards,

Dave

• 1 month later...

I uploaded some pictures I took doing a self oil change on my 2006 RX400h, hopefully they will be useful to someone :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/endearing.lint/RX400hOilChange

Stuff on the RX400h differs only slightly from the RX330 so the general procedures in this thread are pretty good:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=21979

Awesome! Thank you very much! I have that album bookmarked!

I have an 08 and will get my first oil change for free, but after that I am all about doing it myself with a better filter and synthetic oil!

• 1 year later...
I uploaded some pictures I took doing a self oil change on my 2006 RX400h, hopefully they will be useful to someone :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/endearing.lint/RX400hOilChange

Stuff on the RX400h differs only slightly from the RX330 so the general procedures in this thread are pretty good:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=21979

Thanks a ton to you. I did my oil change and your pictures made it very easy.

• 11 months later...

I am preparing to do an oil change on my RX400h today and found your post to be very helpful. I routinely service all the vehicles in our family which includes cars, trucks and motorcycles. Up to this point, I haven't wanted to even attempt to change the oil in the hybrid given the fact that everything is so compact. Inherently, I just assumed that anything pertaining to a hybrid is going to be a real pain in the rear. That being said, last night I went and purchased Mobil-1 5W/20 Synthetic and a Mobil-1 Performance Filter and I'm ready to go. I'll post afterwards and let you know how it turns out.

Well...everything turned out as expected. Your step by step photos certainly helped me gain an understanding of what to expect and what to look for. Overall changing the oil in RX400h was much simplier than I thought it would be. While working on the car, I tried to locate a transmission fluid dip stick, but there does not appear to be one. I assume like my Tundra, the RX has a sealed unit which isn't serviced until the 100k mile service. If anybody has knowledge about that please let me know.