Transmission Shifting Smoothness

Sweet95LS400

The thing I noticed with my 95 LS both before and after the fluid change was that shifts 1, 3 and 4 are very smooth, you almost cant notice them. Shifting into 2nd is smooth but firmer than the rest of the gears. I test drove another 95 LS and it was the same way. That one was actually firmer than mine. I have changed my fluid and also the transmission mount. Anyone else?

Mine will do that sometimes too, especially after I've unhooked the battery and cleared the memory in the computer. It's most likely normal and I wouldn't worry about it. But it could be that your throttle cable is a little too tight. Do a search on here, there was a posting about this a couple of weeks ago. It can't be too far back in the list.

Or you could have too much tranny fluid in there as well?? I always do a "drain and fill" when I do my oil changes. I know it pours out exactly 2 quarts. And I put in 2 quarts. If there is too much in there, then it will drain out more than the 2 quarts "excess". Once it's done draining, just put in 2 quarts, and you should be good to go. Too much fluid can create too much pressure in the tranny, and can put too much pressure on the seals and bands.

It just depends on how hard it's shifting. Are we talking about a 1987 Honda Accord type shifting where it rattles your skeleton, or just a little kick in the pants every now and then? If you floor it, does it pop into gear harder or softer? Mine is super soft when I floor it.

First gear shifts very smooth, it isnt a bad or hard shift, its just a firmer shift than any of the other gears. Could the solenoid need cleaned? I heard about that from others? I am having the filter changed tomorow too, maybe there is a little something in there.

Oops, I meant to say second has the firmer shift, first is smooth even under full throttle.

NC211 - that's a cool way to make sure you've got the right tranny fluid level. Just curious, say I am half a quart low and I do a drain and refill. Will 2 quarts still pour out of the pan, or will it be only 1.5 quarts?

yeah man, it should be just 1.5 quarts coming out. The tranny hold something like 6 or 7 quarts "don't quote me on that though" but it will only drain 2 quarts, leaving the rest. It's an easy way to make sure you're at the right level, not too much, not too little. HOWEVER, our model years are different, and I'm not sure what the drain and fill measurements are for the series 1 models are. A quick call to the dealership would tell you that.

I notice the same pattern on mine... 2nd gear is more noticeable than the others, but hard to say it is "firmer"... just "perceptible", while the other gear changes are barely perceptible.

Since this seems to be a universal opinion, I'm content to believe it is normal. And after my unhappy power steering fluid flush, I am content to monitor the tranny fluid level and do the regular filter maintenance.

I have a 91LS400 Automatic. It seems that when the car is somewhat cold, after it sits for over 3 hours, while putting it into reverse, it almost seems like it is hard to shift. Does anyone else have this problem?

Also, is it normal for the car to idle at 1200-1300 when starting up? That's when the shift into reverse issue comes into play. I do notice that if the car sits for 5-7 minutes after starting it, the RPM's go down to 600 or so and engaging reverse is "smoother."

I checked my tran fluid and it seems fine. So I do a flush and change the filter/gaskets?

I have a 91LS400 Automatic. It seems that when the car is somewhat cold, after it sits for over 3 hours, while putting it into reverse, it almost seems like it is hard to shift. Does anyone else have this problem?

Also, is it normal for the car to idle at 1200-1300 when starting up? That's when the shift into reverse issue comes into play. I do notice that if the car sits for 5-7 minutes after starting it, the RPM's go down to 600 or so and engaging reverse is "smoother."

I checked my tran fluid and it seems fine. So I do a flush and change the filter/gaskets?

It's normal.....do a search and you'll see a ton of posts about it. ;)