Darn Transmission Pan Seal

Sweet95LS400

Well as some of you may be following, I changed my own transmission fluid yesterday. I also had ordered a new filter and pan gasket with the intention to change the filter and clean out the pan. Well I couldnt get the pan off after removing all of the bolts, I tried and tried. After not being able to get it, I decided to just leave it go and put the bolts back on and refill it. I figured I would do it another time when it wasnt 15 degrees outside. Well sure enough, this morning there is a nice spot in the driveway where the seal around the pan is leaking. I crawled back under there and while it was only a few drips of fluid, it sure made me mad. So I am going to take it to my mechanic tomorow (or at least try to get an appointment) and have him replace the filter and gasket. While its there I am going to have him change the differential fluid and fuel filter. I couldnt get the differential fill bolt out, it was in there so tight and I didnt have much room to work to get a strong grip on the wrench and the fuel filter I didnt even want to mess with because I dont want my house to explode with all of the gas that leaks out during the change.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my frustration. If anyone is planning on changing their tranny filter, make sure you have enough time and lots of room. I figured for sure the gasket around the pan was still gonna be fine because I couldnt get the pan to budge. I was wrong.

I didnt get that agressive on it, I tried a razor to cut around the seal and then tapping it with a rubber mallet and pulling down on the pan. Didnt move at all.

Yeah, a razor isn't going to do didly to it. You gotta beat on it, and she'll break free! ;)

:cheers:

Got it all taken care of today. A lot of people here have been reporting they are unsure whether or not to replace the fuel filter or not. I did mine because I dont think it was ever replaced. I dont think it was plugged, but the car starts much faster now. Before it would crank for about 2-3 seconds, now it fires up as soon as you hit the key. Just a little tip for those looking for a little enhanced performance, couldnt hurt.

I'm getting ready to do this job also. I still need to find the sealant for the pan. In the Lexus manual, they show a special tool for getting the pan off. Looks like a large can opener.

My understanding is that the tranny filter is a metal reusable type filter. Just clean it and reuse it. Is this accurate?

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 MBZ 300CE

2000 MBZ C280

gelnmore after removing my filter I quickly realized that I wouldn't be able to get "into" the filter to clean it properly. I probably could have soaked it in something, but honestly its just easier to get a new filter. My filter also came with a new gasket which is what I used instead of sealant.

I also found it easier to remove the old sealant by using a wire brush.

Hope this helps.

My 91 has the fog light switch right next to the headlightswitch on the sterring column. I didn't think they changed much between 90 and 94?..?

What's up with Bush and the UAE? Something's going on here....<_<

Sorry, replied to the wrong post.... :chairshot: