Red Oil Light Blinking Randomly!

Red oil light blinking randomly. What could it be? As I drive, it comes on for two secs, turns off for 5, turns on, then off and so on...

Also, I have a loud humming noise that seems to be coming from the back axle. Anybody know what that could be? At all speeds...

I also have really squeaky shocks when I go over bumps or turn sharply... Is there a way to lubricate or do they have to be replaced?

I have a 97 es300.

Red oil light blinking randomly. What could it be? As I drive, it comes on for two secs, turns off for 5, turns on, then off and so on...

Also, I have a loud humming noise that seems to be coming from the back axle. Anybody know what that could be? At all speeds...

I also have really squeaky shocks when I go over bumps or turn sharply... Is there a way to lubricate or do they have to be replaced?

I have a 97 es300.

Did you check the oil level?

Agreed,

Welcome to the club rusty......please try & be as specific as to what the problem is & what you have done on your own thus far to narrow down the problem. The more specific details you can give us, the better we can assist. B)

:cheers:

Yellow oil light is nothing more than you're low on oil

Red oil light is low oil pressure of death

*note* that even an intermittant ROPSOD means there IS a STRONG possibility that there is an oil problem ALL THE TIME!!! The oil pump, if the pick-up is uncovered from a low oil level, will suck, and pressurize air just like a roots supercharger. The pressurized air will lower oil flow even farther, but create enough pressure to satisfy the oil pressure sensor, and ECU.

1) Stop driving the car period. Toyota engine's are well known for not needing a lot of oil pressure to function, but the oil pressure sensor is calibrated to that level. Continuing to run the engine under stantes of low oil pressure will result in a complete rebuild, or a new engine.

2) You need to check the oil pressure itself, if low, replace the oil pump

3) You need to check / replace the oil pressure sensor

If you can't accomplish the above, your first task is finding a mechanic that can.

First of all, exactly how do I go about checking the pressure of the oil?

Second, i would like to try changing the oil pressure sensor... What is it's official name? And where's a good place to find one? I checked local parts stores and they don't even have one. No luck online either. Can anyone tell me where I can buy one - new or used - the cheaper the better for me. Plus, where exactly is it's location in the engine?

I did check the oil level, and it was fine, full.

The car has 177,000 miles on it, if that helps.

There are several oil ports for the engine. The easiest of which is either of the two ports on the side of the oil-filter stand off. Put an oil pressure gauge in (whatever port) and there ya go.

Oil pressure @ idle is normally 4-7psi

Oil pressure at say 3000rpm+ should be 40-70psi (an it's fine to be higher)

I'm not sure what the general toyota spec is for the OPS. It's in the factory service manuals tho.

If it's the oil presure sensor no problem, if it's an actual problem. Ew. But you need to be sure 'cause if there is a real problem, somebody is gonna be pulling a big, useless 350lb slug of aluminum out of the engine bay. ;)

Rusty,

All of your other problems are minor compared to the oil light.

I would start searching for threads about the infamous "sludge" problem that your engine is notorious for. If it is just your sensor you may be OK, but if you have sludge buildup then start saving your money for a complete engine rebuild. It may not hurt to try AutoRX or Seafoam at this point, but I wouldn't drive it too much without a proper diagnosis.