Talk Me Out Of Purchasing My Second Rx400h?

Here's the situation:

I love my RX400h. I have sworn to never buy a gasoline only vehicle going forward. I have not sworn off non-Lexus (or Toyota) vehicles, but it would take a lot to convince me of jumping off the Toyota or Lexus wagon.

My wife drives our 1999 RX300. It is about ready to be traded in -- I'm feeling guilty about driving the new car. She previously had an ES300 that she loved. I like the room of an SUV, she likes the handling of a car. She thinks that the RX400h drives enough like a car (vs. the RX300) that she would consider that. She really likes the 400h, but if there was an ESxxxh, this would be a no-brainer to buy it.

Her birthday is coming up soon. I could say, "we'll wait until the GS450h is released" and promise her one, but... they look to be about $10k more, they are less practical (we take the kiddo on trips and will only take an SUV), and it won't come out for another 6 months (2-3 at best).

So, talk me out of going ahead and getting a second RX400h for the garage -- I already know it will have to be a different color.

By the way, any news on discounting? I saw on the Lexus "Build your own Lexus" site that they have removed the "model is in short supply" warning that used to come up. So, my assumption is that I won't have to wait for one and my HOPE is that we might even be able to go quite a bit below list.

err why would you buy two the same cars that are close to 50 grand? lol thats crazy, with that money i would try something new! Wait for the gs450 or get the toyota camry hybrid. Thats basically a Es***h but with less power! They are in the same class and i think they are built on the same platform. Buy the camry hybrid with all the works, nav, leather, and you will never be able to tell the difference. Well you wouldnt be driving the camry to the ritz thats for sure. lol

The Highlander hybrid is certainly a nice vehicle, but it is not in the same class (status-wise). Therefore, I say if you can comfortably afford another one, why not? I drive my Corvette at least three times per week and it was almost as expensive as the RX400h. Like you, I would never buy an SUV that gets 16 MPG.

Check around about <MRP deals; I'll bet they're out there somewhere.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I agree that Camry and Highlander are wonderful cars. My father-in-law has a Highlander Hybrid. Unfortunately, it just doesn't seem the same (even to him) as the 400h. I've also found (with our previous ES300 and Camry) that there is a noticeable difference between a well-equipped Camry and an ES300 (and not just in price). Finally, now that we've been spoiled by the service at the Lexus dealership, I can't see going back. In fact, I'd take a Camry and possibly a Highlander if they came with the same level of service as the Lexus brand. They just don't from the dealers around here.

I'm still on the fence. I agree that having two identical (other than color) cars of the same year is odd. The oddity is at least partially offset by my love for the 400h.

While NAV is now an "option", I'm afraid must be standard equipment for my wife's next car. Another one of those things (e.g., cell phones, blackberry's, etc.) that we managed to live so long without, but can't figure out how.

I just rode in a coworkers minivan that had the DVD entertainment package, but no NAV. Why anyone would prefer the EP over NAV is beyond my comprehension!

Every vehicle should come with NAV; it's great!

These cars are so great I would not think twice about buying another for the Wife - if I was married. The only other SUV I would consider is the new Jeep Cherokee SRT-8 that just hit showrooms. Its like driving a sports car and is quicker than the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, but only $39k. It would be a nice 2nd option if I had 2 cars.

Jason - there are several 400h's on the lot at Nalley Lexus in Smyrna. I see you live over in Roswell. I drove by there yesterday and they had at least 10-15 out front. I paid $3k off MSRP there in August. They will give you a deal.