Drivers Side Mirror (assembly)

TennesseeLexus

I am a newbie and just love this forum. I have a 96 LS400 and the drivers side mirror now has 4 spots on it that, to me, indicate a failure of the heating element. I have searched online and the Lexus dealerships for pricing(I have a mechanic who can put it on with no problem). My best online price (at www.americanlexusparts.com) is $250 for the mirror glass(I assume all wiring etc) and $379 for the entire driver's side mirror (with correct paint color). The Lexus dealership wanted $381 and $486 (uninstalled). Is the online pricing about the best out there? Anyone else have this trouble with their mirrors? I have 165,000 on my car and it is still going strong.

I am a newbie and just love this forum. I have a 96 LS400 and the drivers side mirror now has 4 spots on it that, to me, indicate a failure of the heating element. I have searched online and the Lexus dealerships for pricing(I have a mechanic who can put it on with no problem). My best online price (at www.americanlexusparts.com) is $250 for the mirror glass(I assume all wiring etc) and $379 for the entire driver's side mirror (with correct paint color). The Lexus dealership wanted $381 and $486 (uninstalled). Is the online pricing about the best out there? Anyone else have this trouble with their mirrors? I have 165,000 on my car and it is still going strong.

Have you tried your local auto glass shop? Normally, they can get you the glass only for reasonable prices. You just have to specify what options your glass has i.e., heat, dimming, etc.

I replaced the passenger side mirror glass on my 93 LS about a year ago. I ordered the glass from www.newlexusparts.com. My car also has the heated mirrors. As I recall, the glass cost about $70.00.

You don't really need to pay someone to replace this glass. If you place a taped screwdriver or a putty knife at the bottom of the glass and push it away from the frame, a bottom clip will release. After this clip is free, the clips on the side and top will easily release and the glass will come free.

The heating element and wiring will be part of your new mirror. You simply unplug the old mirror and plug in the new one.

Get your new mirror in hand before you try to remove the old one. Looking at the back of the new one will give you good guidance in removing the old mirror.

when i'm driving down the road my driver's mirror shakes just a little bit but the passenger's side is rock solid, by checking it by hand i noticed there is a little play in the mirror wheras there isn't on the other could it be something to do with those clips mentioned, any one got any ideas? rebend the clips or add shimming material felt, or go buy new clips from dealer?

Yeah, there must be some major differences between the 93 and the 96. $250.00 for a mirror replacement is ridiculous.

when i'm driving down the road my driver's mirror shakes just a little bit but the passenger's side is rock solid, by checking it by hand i noticed there is a little play in the mirror wheras there isn't on the other could it be something to do with those clips mentioned, any one got any ideas? rebend the clips or add shimming material felt, or go buy new clips from dealer?

Check underneath the mirror. There should be two screws up close to the body of the car. Try tightening these.

The clips on my car (93 model) were plastic. They would not easily bend, and they are attached to the mirror in such a way that they could not easily be replaced. If the clips are the problem, you would probably have to replace the mirror glass.

hey sapper, i had the same problem. Take a screwdriver and carefully pry off the tweeter cover(there is just clips holding it on) then there will two screws that hold the mirror assembly to the door, undo those and then you can get to the screws on the bottom of the assembly and tighten them.

Newer glass mirrors like mine are electro chromatic ,meaning they dim as well as being heated.

Mine costs 375 from the dealer just for the glass the whole mirro is close to 700 as it has memory adjustment also.

If it is not dimming then get a fit over replacment for about $40 the heat will still come through the new glass on top of it just not as fast.

Newer glass mirrors like mine are electro chromatic ,meaning they dim as well as being heated.

Mine costs 375 from the dealer just for the glass the whole mirro is close to 700 as it has memory adjustment also.

If it is not dimming then get a fit over replacment for about $40 the heat will still come through the new glass on top of it just not as fast.

how would one know if they have heated mirrors? if i do there are no controls, would it be connected to the defrost circuit?

Thanks in advance.