Optional Packages With New Car Purchase

We purchased a Lexus 400h on Friday, January 27, 2006. We were taken aback by the "high pressure" tactics used by the Finance Rep. who strongly suggested that we take the extended warranty, lo jack chip, and paint and leather protection package. We opted for the two last ones, but we are really wondering if we were not duped into taking something that we could do without or could install later for less that the $595.00 for the lo jack and $495 for the conditionners. Your opinions and recommendations would be appreciated.

We believe we can cancel, but need to do it soon.

Thank you,

Gamuy

• 1 month later...

I had the same pitch for Lo Jack, interior / exterior care, etc. However, dealer finance guy just presented the options without any real pressure. I also liked the fact that he allowed for 3 days to decide, no pressure at instant of purchase. I did not select Lo Jack after consulting with my insurance company. While Lo Jack does qualify for a slight additional discount, I won't live long enough for the payback. My insurance company indicated the loss rate for LS430s is pretty low with just the factory anti-theft. On the tire/wheel and interior/exterior options, they were priced with respect to time only. As I don't expect to put a lot of miles on the car each year, I passed on all.

Bob in LA

• 2 weeks later...

I took the Lo Jack option and that's it, thought it was a good idea for a new car. Lexus Finance Rep should not be pressuring anyone for add ons. The leather seat in my RX300 cracked, lexus replaced it at no cost. Honestly I don't even remember that salesman asking about paint or seat protection for the IS250.