Very Audible Low Hum

Hi everybody,

I just bought a 2002 ES300 with 82k miles on it. The car is amazing, but there is a very distict low humming sound when I get it up to about 40-55mph and then no hum between 65-79 then it hum again at 80 mph. Its not coming from the engine but from the wheels. Any idea what this might be? Thanks!

I have the same problem in my 98 and from what I've read it doesn't seem to be a tire problem. Supposedly Lexus has issued a "fix" for this problem which is a good thing because they have yet to do the same for the Toyota's that do the same thing.

I'm not sure what exactly it is, but it sure is annoying!

I have the same problem in my 98 and from what I've read it doesn't seem to be a tire problem. Supposedly Lexus has issued a "fix" for this problem which is a good thing because they have yet to do the same for the Toyota's that do the same thing.

I'm not sure what exactly it is, but it sure is annoying!

EerFool, please list the exact "fix" number if you have it. I am assuming you speak of a TSB.

steviej

Well this isn't the fix number, but this sounds like the same problem and they offer two solutions....

http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Arc...8/March/04.html

They say it could either be an axle bearing (cheap to fix) or a problem with the differential (expensive), I'm hoping for both of our sakes its simply a rough up axle bearing!

I also found this fix which is about the same humming but coming from the rear of Toyota's and it says its a bearing issue.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/local_links/jump/263/4