How To Remove Console Arm Rest Latch

srgilbert

Hi,

I have a 95 LS400 with the useless cell phone in the arm rest. The arm rest has a sandwich layer which the cell phone is mounted in. Looks like the spring catch/latch has broken. I stopped over at Lexus and it looks like the piece is replaceable however I have no idea how to get to it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Without fixing this the arm rest remains up - not very Lexus like...

Thanks

If you are talking about the lower tray that holds the phone, the insert tray can be popped out by using a stiff taped (to prevent damage) 1 or 1 1/2 inch putty knife - at least this is how I did it two days ago on my 00 LS when I had to remove the insert to install a missing tiny rubber "bumper" stop on the bottom of the tray.

If you are talking about the lower tray that holds the phone, the insert tray can be popped out by using a stiff taped (to prevent damage) 1 or 1 1/2 inch putty knife - at least this is how I did it two days ago on my 00 LS when I had to remove the insert to install a missing tiny rubber "bumper" stop on the bottom of the tray.

Is the tray press fit around the edge or is there some type of press fit in specific areas that I should go after? Last thing I want to do is break it and have to take out a second mortgage to fix it.

Thanks

I too had to pull that tray out of my 95 when I installed a car phone. I used the same careful prying method as Jim to get the tray out. I can't remember if it is snaped in certain areas or all the way around (if I had to guess, I'd say it's snaped in certain areas.). I really think you would have to beat the hell out of that tray in order to break it. It should take you about 20 seconds to remove it, taking your time.

:cheers:

I too had to pull that tray out of my 95 when I installed a car phone. I used the same careful prying method as Jim to get the tray out. I can't remember if it is snaped in certain areas or all the way around (if I had to guess, I'd say it's snaped in certain areas.). I really think you would have to beat the hell out of that tray in order to break it. It should take you about 20 seconds to remove it, taking your time.

:cheers:

I'll give it a shot - thanks - kind of goofy driving around in my nice LS with the arm rest in the up position ...

Start prying at the front of the tray on either side of the latch. There are two friction "pegs" on the underside of the tray insert near the latch end. Mainly just be gentle - the plastic insert is flimsy. Like Blake said it takes only a few seconds to pop the insert out.

The tray insert is not available separately from Lexus - at least that is what the local dealer told me a few weeks ago. If you break it, you will have to buy the entire lower console tray - I think the dealer said it was around $100.