Lexus Factory Wheel Question

Jeff

Hi all, I was looking at a set of late model chrome GS 16" wheels on ebay, I own a 2000 LS platinum with 01 LS430 wheels. The ad idicates that the wheels will fit a 90-94 LS and just about every other Lexus made except 95 and up LS. My question is, What is different between the 90-94 LS400 wheel size versus the 95 and up LS400 wheels. What offset and width do I need to stay with on my 2000 LS ? I'm also interested in the IS 17" wheels for my LS, any problem with this set up ?? What wheels looks bets on LS for a sporty look ?? would like to stay with 16" due to new Michelin tires on the car. thx

We also have a 2000 LS400 Platinum with the 01 LS430 wheels. I am not very knowledgable about wheels but I do know that the front brake calipers and rotors on our cars are much larger than on the early LS400. You have probably noticed that there is only a tiny amount of clearance between your front calipers and the inside of the wheel rim. I suspect that the large front calipers is main thing you have to account for when buying wheels. I bought a set of Mille Miglia Bello wheels from Tire Rack and they had about the same small amount of clearance at the calipers as the OEM wheels. Have you looked at the wheels on Tire Rack that fit your 2000 LS400?

LS400 1990-94 wheels will not fit a 95 and up LS which has a 4 pot caliper and needs a high offset to fit them. Even with oem wheels i cannot fit tape weights inside the oem wheels.

What are you looking for replacement wheels to do?

Are you looking for factory toyota rims only?

what is your price range?

• 2 weeks later...

Was looking to put factory Lexus wheels on the car but change the look. I like the IS 17" wheels but have nearly new 16" Michelins on the car now and would hate to pay the extra $600 expense for tires on top of the rims. I also like the later model 6 spoke GS430 wheels and that's the ones I was most wondering about on my car. They are 16 X 8 with a 50mm offset. The only difference I see is the GS wheels are 1/2 inch wider than my 01 ls wheels. I've seen several sets of these on ebay and none say they would fit a 95 up LS4. What are others doing on the LS ?

Jeff,

You could ask a Lexus dealer which wheels would fit. The local dealer here sells new "take-off" wheels at reduced prices - lots of people buy them to use with snow tires. In 2003 the local dealer offered me a set of GS wheels for my 00 LS but he wanted too much so I bought my "snow wheels" from Tire Rack.

Or, do you know anyone with a late model GS who would let you try his spare on your car?

Or call Tire Rack and ask them if the wheel size they sell for an IS or GS will also fit your LS. I've bought wheels and a whole lot of tires from Tire Rack and I have found their people to be very helpful.

Hope that helps....