Radio/cassette Head Unit Problem?

I have a 2000 Lexus GS300, and the other day the right side of the head units display is not illuminated when the lights come on. Basically the display works fine but the right side just does not light up when the lights come on so it looks the same whether its day or night. I thought it was a light bulb in the display that needs to be replaced but I have been informed it is a circuit board that needs to be replaced. The Radio place here in Maryland that Lexus has forwarded me to for this repair wants $45 to remove the radio, then they send it out for an estimate (about 5 days before I get a call back). They cannot even get me an estimate on this work, but it looks like at least 2 weeks of driving around without a radio. Has anybody had this problem? How much am I looking at for this repair? Am I better off leaving it alone or getting a used head unit? Any help is greatly appreciated.

if it was me i would wait to find out how much the repair would be first then check for a new one, because you know your radio works well but you will be taking a chance buying a used one

Have it repaired guessing around $200.00, If you replace it with a used one you don't know when that one is going. At least you have 5 years with the new one.

Have it repaired guessing around $200.00, If you replace it with a used one you don't know when that one is going. At least you have 5 years with the new one.

How do you get a five year warranty with a new one?

By the way, if it is only the backlight that is out, you only need a bulb. If any of the display segments are out, you need a new display. The display is around $105.00 and comes complete with new backlight bulbs.

If you search these forums, you would find this related post. Bulbs are generally a few dollars, either from Lexus or Pioneer. You'd have to call pioneer to find out if they have them. They are not listed on the website.

Note, this information is for the standard radio, not the Nakamichi.

How do you get a five year warranty with a new one?

By the way, if it is only the backlight that is out, you only need a bulb. If any of the display segments are out, you need a new display. The display is around $105.00 and comes complete with new backlight bulbs.

If you search these forums, you would find this related post. Bulbs are generally a few dollars, either from Lexus or Pioneer. You'd have to call pioneer to find out if they have them. They are not listed on the website.

Note, this information is for the standard radio, not the Nakamichi.

Did I mention warranty? Just going by the age of his car and how long the bulb lasted, Guesstimation !!! Ballpark figure, You Know, Just figuring. But I would change all the bulbs not just the burnt one.