Very Hard To Start

utexasrick

I have a 2000 Rx300 and for a few months its been very hard to start. I have to hold the key for about 3 seconds until it starts. I had read that it could have been the IACV so I tried cleaning it and the throttle body, but they both were pretty clean. and that didn't solve the problem. I've already replaced the fuel filter, both o2 sensors, battery, and the dealership changed a sensor for air/fuel I think, need to look back at the receite. So what could be causing the problem?

I have a 2000 Rx300 and for a few months its been very hard to start. I have to hold the key for about 3 seconds until it starts. I had read that it could have been the IACV so I tried cleaning it and the throttle body, but they both were pretty clean. and that didn't solve the problem. I've already replaced the fuel filter, both o2 sensors, battery, and the dealership changed a sensor for air/fuel I think, need to look back at the receite. So what could be causing the problem?

Does it run okey once it starts? Does this occur during hot re-start and also when cold? Does this happen everytime? If you get it running, shut it down at once and then immediately try to re-start, does this delay still occur? You should first determine if it is a fuel or ignition problem.

This happened on my IS300, and the dealer tested the battery in the car and said that it needed to by changed. Now i know you wrote that you changed the battery, but if this is happening again, tell them to test the battery and see if something is draining the juice

Does it run okey once it starts? Does this occur during hot re-start and also when cold? Does this happen everytime? If you get it running, shut it down at once and then immediately try to re-start, does this delay still occur? You should first determine if it is a fuel or ignition problem.

yeah it runs fine once it starts, this happens on cold and hot start ups. What I noticed is that when I start it up, shut it down and try to restart it, it does not take as long as when it is left sitting for a few minutes. but it still doesn't seem normal.

I am having the same exact problem on my 99' RX300. This happens rarely on cold starts but does occur. Usually happens when the car has been running and shut off for a few minutes. Engine will turn over and fire for a second and then goes dead. Sometimes it just winds the starter. Car will finally crank after sometimes 2 or 3 tries and sometimes after 7 or 8 tries. Any suggestions?

ANy hot start issues on the RX is the IACV as it is the same with the ES300

Serach the term it has been covered many times with pics

yeah, I read that that could be a problem so I checked it and the throttle body and they were both clean. I still cleaned them with some carb cleaner, but I didn't seem to work.

I would start by finding a mechanic willing to do some analysis before throwing parts into the vehicle and have the fuel pressure measured.

p.s.

I just realized what your moniker means. As a diehard Trojan fan, I sadly offer my congratulations.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally broke down and took mine to the dealership before the car laid down and left me stranded. The technician knew exactly what it was when I described it to him. It something called the "Idle air flow motor" (I believe that's what it was called). It was replaced (could not be rebuilt) and the car is running beautiful now. Was not a cheap repair so be prepared. Ran around 400 dollars.

• 4 months later...

So I came back home from college (rx300 is my moms) and my parents still havn't taken it to get this problem fixed. The last time I cleaned the IACV even though when I took it apart it was very clean. Today I clean the maf with electonics cleaner as I had read somewhere here but that wasn't the problem. It was also very clean. What else could this problem be?

Could it be possible that it is a fuel pump problem, even though it runs fine after starting? moniter thing says its getting about 16.5 mpg, when we first got the truck it was around 18 I think. I don't think its very accurate but I do know that it has dropped, I've already done basic tune up.