Coolant Disposal

kcpth

Hey guys.... does n e one know where i can dispose of the coolant i'm about to take out? I asked Autozone n Strauss (they have a garage) n both said they dont take them. WTF?!?! Can i bring it to the local toyota dealer's workshop n force them to take it?

Thanks for the info.

Tom

I remember back in the 1980's the jugs of Prestone antifreeze suggested pouring the old antifreeze into the "sanitary sewage system"; i.e. toilet. Nowadays I'm sure it would be illegal to put used antifreeze down the toilet, but since you never hear of anyone getting caught and fined apparently it is next to impossible to find small time homeowner type violators.

The County in which you live should have a Solid Waste Agency that handles all hazardous materials and will accept it at no charge, including used coolant. If you can't find them in the phonebook or on Switchboard.com just call your local city hall or village hall and they will direct you.

Crazy what people used to do with the stuff. Last week we broke a mercury thermometer, unbelieveably toxic when mercury becomes airborne, you'd think there was a bomb in our house the way we had to handle it. And to think, most kids used to play it! :wacko:

I remember back in the 1980's the jugs of Prestone antifreeze suggested pouring the old antifreeze into the "sanitary sewage system"; i.e. toilet. Nowadays I'm sure it would be illegal to put used antifreeze down the toilet, but since you never hear of anyone getting caught and fined apparently it is next to impossible to find small time homeowner type violators.

but, if he has any integrity <_< , he will try to find the right way to get rid of it, as he is doing.

KCpth, take it to a place that performs coolant flushes. they will most likely take it. if not, take it to your city dump, you can get rid of it in the hazardous materials disposal center of your municipality's dump facility.

call your local "transfer station" or recycle center. What used to formely be known as the "dump" in my town is now a very high tech transfer station. Trash, paper, cardboard, wood, debris, plastic, glass, leaves, everything is brought there and sorted to its respective recepticles.

The nicest feature of my station is that they take old/used motor oil and coolant for disposal at no cost to the disposer.

steviej

you can get rid of it in the hazardous materials disposal center of your municipality's dump facility.

Here in California, no municipal dumps except hazardous materials except a few that specialize in that sort of thing and they charge a fortune. I personally don't see any great harm putting antifreeze down the toilet because it will end up in a sewage treatment plant rather than in a river plus ethylene glycol is less toxic than common Draino type drain cleaners.

you can get rid of it in the hazardous materials disposal center of your municipality's dump facility.

Here in California, no municipal dumps except hazardous materials except a few that specialize in that sort of thing and they charge a fortune. I personally don't see any great harm putting antifreeze down the toilet because it will end up in a sewage treatment plant rather than in a river plus ethylene glycol is less toxic than common Draino type drain cleaners.

*post deleted, due to possibility of staring a flame war, PM me i fyou want to know what it was"

-ArmyofOne

Thanks monarch for the suggestion. But i'll first try to exhaust myself before resorting to flushing down the drain. I'm an environmental minor so i do know that the treatment centers could get rid of it... but like i said... i'd first try to exhaust myself before i go that route.

I will try the Toyota repair center first on monday then. Then i'd go to my local sanitation department n ask. I totally forgot about the sanitation guys... thanks for the idea. I just find it odd that the Strauss n some other auto stores just refuse to take it. I thought it was a law to have to accept these Hazmat (well they aren't realli hazmats but still... harmful n dangerous if not disposed of properly). I asked a friend... he told me his local auto store refuses to take it... but he says he drops it in front of their store when they close... so they have no choice but to have to take it. LOL. But i dont think i'll do that either.

I would also like to thank Steve, Josh, n u Gum too for ur advice. No New Yorkers huh? Well i guess Josh ur an honorary member now ;)

Thanks monarch for the suggestion. But i'll first try to exhaust myself before resorting to flushing down the drain. I'm an environmental minor so i do know that the treatment centers could get rid of it... but like i said... i'd first try to exhaust myself before i go that route.

I will try the Toyota repair center first on monday then. Then i'd go to my local sanitation department n ask. I totally forgot about the sanitation guys... thanks for the idea. I just find it odd that the Strauss n some other auto stores just refuse to take it. I thought it was a law to have to accept these Hazmat (well they aren't realli hazmats but still... harmful n dangerous if not disposed of properly). I asked a friend... he told me his local auto store refuses to take it... but he says he drops it in front of their store when they close... so they have no choice but to have to take it. LOL. But i dont think i'll do that either.

I would also like to thank Steve, Josh, n u Gum too for ur advice. No New Yorkers huh? Well i guess Josh ur an honorary member now ;)

heh, yeah i am closest.

the NYC dump will take that stuff. if they wont they will point you to the people who can. the NY dump is HUGE :blink:

the best way to get rid of it, other than that is a cup at a time. dump a cup in the toilet, flush, cup, flush

until its done, this should dilute it enough to not be harmful.

though one of my friends suggested feeding to an annoying neighbors pet... :whistles: but thats just cruel.

because it is ILLEGAL in my part of the woods. Many residents here and other parts of the country are not on town sewer lines. Instead they still have leaching fields and title 5 and septic tanks and so forth. The EPA would have something to say about it I am sure.

The transfer stations around here accept it free of charge so that morons and cheap *BLEEP*s don't pour it secretly down the drain to avoid the charge if it were imposed. The transfer stations have it professionally hauled off from there. I am sure it is built into the cost of the transfer station permit and town taxes, but at least it ain't in my back yard.

steviej

I leave it out for a day or too just incase any strays get into it. Otherwise, I store it until I have a reason to go to the dump.It goes in the hasardous materials bin.

Motor oil I store to go to the dump, and use some of it to burn leaves & debris in the yard three-four times a year.

Most of it goes to the dump...

Edited by Toysrme