Homelink And X10 Lighting

I have X10 wireless and lighting modules in my home. I want to turn on my garage lights via the Homelink in my RX330 but I can not find any information (from Lexus or on Homelink's website) on how to setup/configure my Homelink to control X10 devices. Any pointers/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mike

No one seems to make a wall switch receiver that is compatible with HomeLink or any other garage door opener remote. I searched long and fruitlessly several years ago.

Odd, these wall mounted receiver switches were even available from Sears in the 90's. I had a really cool setup on our last house where we could use our garage door openers to separately control three high output exterior lights and all the inside garage lights. It made us feel a lot more secure coming home to a brightly lit exterior and garage on a dark night. Seeing the neighbor's reactions was kind of fun too.

All that seems to be available now are receiver modules that control lamps that plug into wall sockets.

I would appreciate it if you would post here if you find something that works.

I received a reply from HomeLink today which appears to confirm they are compatible with X10 wireless remotes. Here is the instructions they emailed me today:

The X-10 lighting modules and Radio Shack lighting modules are similar products to our HomeLink lighting kits, it might be compatible with HomeLink.

If you have the X-10 or Radio Shack modules set up in your home and you have a hand held device to activate these modules? You can try to program your hand held remote as directed in your vehicle's owners manual.

I realize you may have done some or all of these procedures already but please follow them exactly as I have outlined:

Preparation:

Preparing to program the lighting components requires erasing any device (i.e. garage door openers, security systems, entry door locks, etc.) that has been programmed into HomeLink by performing the following procedure:

Press and hold the two outside HomeLink Universal Transceiver buttons. The indicator light will turn from a solid light to a flashing light after 20 seconds. Continue to hold the buttons for an additional 10 seconds; releasing only when the indicator light turn off.

Any device that had been programmed into HomeLink is no erased. After programming the lighting modules, you can reprogram the erased devices by following the procedures outlines at the end of this document.

Your HomeLink Universal Transceiver can now be programmed to activate the lighting components.

Reloading Previously Programmed Devices:

To reload the devices previously programmed in the HomeLink Universal Transceiver follow the procedures outlined below- keeping in mind which HomeLink button is now programmed to activate your home lighting.

Programming Directions:

Press and hold the desired HomeLink button. When the indicator light begins to flash slowly (after 20 seconds), position the hand-held remote 1 to 3 inches away from the HomeLink surface. Press and hold the hand-held remote button (or "cycle" the remote: press and release the button on the hand-held remote while pressing the HomeLink button). The HomeLink indicator light will flash, first slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light begins to flash rapidly, release both buttons.

NOTE: If your Radio Shack hand held remote has one button for "ON" and one button for "OFF" then you will need to program one button on the HomeLink for "ON" and one button one the HomeLink for "OFF".

If this does not work, in order to control home lighting via HomeLink, a HomeLink brand Vehicle Interface (#SP-891)is required and can be purchased by calling our toll free customer service number at 1-800-355-3515. Cost is approx. $45.00 + S&H. This Vehicle Interface acts as the "liaison" between HomeLink in your vehicle and the modules in your home.

In addition to selling several individual lighting control modules, the HomeLink call center also offers a three piece HomeLink Lighting Package which consists of (1) Vehicle Interface, (1) Lamp Module, and (1) Home Controller. Cost is approx. $59.99 + S&H.

Please feel free to email me or contact our HomeLink customer service center at 1-800-355-3515 for further assistance.

No one seems to make a wall switch receiver that is compatible with HomeLink or any other garage door opener remote. I searched long and fruitlessly several years ago.

Odd, these wall mounted receiver switches were even available from Sears in the 90's. I had a really cool setup on our last house where we could use our garage door openers to separately control three high output exterior lights and all the inside garage lights. It made us feel a lot more secure coming home to a brightly lit exterior and garage on a dark night. Seeing the neighbor's reactions was kind of fun too.

All that seems to be available now are receiver modules that control lamps that plug into wall sockets.

I would appreciate it if you would post here if you find something that works.

Yes, I know about the HomeLink compatible modules that can turn on a lamp or applicance that plugs into a wall outlet. What I am looking for is HomeLink receiver module that replaces or is compatible with a wall switch so I can turn exterior and interior garage lights on.

I had similar receiver modules (from Sears) in my last house that replaced wall switches and which were compatible with my garage door remote.

It almost looks like the Homelink website is not being maintained. I think the same dead hyperlinks are on it that were there about two years ago.

Yes, I know about the HomeLink compatible modules that can turn on a lamp or applicance that plugs into a wall outlet. What I am looking for is HomeLink receiver module that replaces or is compatible with a wall switch so I can turn exterior and interior garage lights on.

I had similar receiver modules (from Sears) in my last house that replaced wall switches and which were compatible with my garage door remote.

It almost looks like the Homelink website is not being maintained. I think the same dead hyperlinks are on it that were there about two years ago.

If X10 modules will work, you can find switch replacements and more here: http://www.smarthome.com/prodindex.asp?catid=2

If X10 modules will work, you can find switch replacements and more here: http://www.smarthome.com/prodindex.asp?catid=2

Thank you very much for the above information about the X10 wall switches. It looks like I might be get all this to work for less than $75. I was really hoping to find a wall switch that is directly compatible with HomeLink and which would work like my previous Sears wall switch did with my garage door remotes. But it looks like that is asking to much and X10 may be the only way to go. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the homelink transmitter to run a 'welcome home' macro and a 'goodbye' macro.

I use a WG800 to receive the signal and forward to a computer running homeseer www.homeseer.com, and this program sends out the x10 signals.

It can easily put it directly on the power line also. If you have not gotten this to work, let me know.

Peter