Coolant Flush

KY350

Today I attempted to do a coolant flush as per this tutorial:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html

I was not able to attach the clear plastic hoses to the left and right drain !Removed! as I simply could not get my hands nor tools to these parts due to limited space. So I simply drained the fluid using just the front drain !Removed!. This stopped draining once about 4L (4 quarts) had drained from the system. This seemed to be a small amount of fluid as the coolant system takes 10.8L (2.8 gallons).

Anyhow, at this point I added the radiator flush treatment and filled the system with water. Then I ran the car and heater as instructed and drained out the fluid. Again I got about 4L out.

Then I added water and drained it again. I was expecting to see clear water come out at this stage, but the fluid was still draining red. So I added water again and drained. Fluid this time still drained red. So I filled it with water again and drained it once more - still red.

Now I have filled the system once more with water and before I start draining, I thought I'd ask you folk if I am doing something wrong, as I appear to be draining and filling only 4-5L at a time and cant seem to get totally rid of the old red coolant / flush treatment coloring.

Can someone suggest what I should do other than take it to a mechanic?

Thanks

Michael

hey look try getting some long socket extensions and universal joints or adapters ( they let you wrench on something at an angle, don't get to rough they slip until you get the hang of it) either that or MAKE room by diconnecting other stuff. keep reading and maybe you can contact the guy that wrote the article on lexls and maybe he can expalin or send you some better pic when he gets the chance, he seems pretty passionate about helping lexus owners

I tried the 12" socket extension and it barely makes it to the side drain bolts. The bigger problem with the side drain points is that I cannot get the 3/8 tubing up to connect to the plug because my hands don't fit through the small gaps.

WRT disconnecting other bits to create better access, I don't want to go removing suspension / driveline and exhaust items because I have never done it before and it would take me ages to do without a hoist or helper.

don't know man try flushing it or forcing it out some way i'm not real familiar with my lexus yet as i am a fairly new owner domestic different story

hang on now that i think about it find a bigger hose inch and half or so squeeze it in there and use it like a funnel? something like that

I've never done this job yet... but i plan to do this in the near future.

Try using a needle nose plyier to get the tubing in there. If ur handy with a chopstick... that might help u get a better reach over the needle nose :P . As for the socket wrench with a universal joint not working... im not sure. Try emailing Carl... the creator of www.lexls.com. He's pretty good at returning emails when in need. He can probably give u all the tips n ideas for every work u need.

Good luck

Tom

Keep trying. It is possable to attatch the plastic tube, i used old fuel tubing. Run the car onto some ramps and go in from behind the crossmember (near the engine mounts). If you can't do it ask someone with smaller hands. Also it pays to undo the bolts (then do them back up) before doing this as they can be quite tight. You know you have the right bolts as they have a small tube off them and are located around the middle of the block just above the main crossmember. You should get around 10 to 11 liters out of the system. Remember to refill using the bolt above the themostat.

one thing about the lexls tutorial that isn't very clear is the size of the tubing. i know form personal expirence. i first tried to flush using a 3/8" outside-1/4" inside, but it requires a 1/2" outside-3/8" inside diameter tubing! very imoprant! the tube will not fit unless you have the correct size but if you do then in reality you can hold the tubing and simply push it on there to start it out. as soon as you see it is starting to settle correctly then grab another part and keep pushing until it is on there enuff so that no fluid leaks out. as long as that is there you probably will need some angled sockets and extentions to loosen the drain plug. if memory serves me correctly you can try "Wrench, Ext, Angled arm, Ext, socket" or Wrench, Ext, Ext, Angled Arm, Socket" one of those two configurations worked for me? but i hope this helps! :cheers:

Thanks all for the advise.

I still wasn't able to get to the side !Removed!, so I decided to take it to a mechanic to flush. He simply disconnected the heater hose pipe located near the firewall and attached a garden hose to one end and flushed the old coolant (mostly water seeing that I had drained most of the old coolant out before) untill clear water ran out of the other end. Then it was a matter of reconnecting the heater hose and adding approximately 5L of 100% concentrate coolant. Run the car for 5 - 10 min etc - job was done $35 later.

Although it was not a lot of money, next time i'll flush it this way and save my $35.

I hope this helps others who cannot get to the side !Removed! easily.

BTW, I rang a Lexus dealer and spoke with one of the service techs who was very helpfull. He advised that they also flush the coolant via the heater hose. Seeing that I also asked him about the diff oil, he advise that neither the 400's or 430's have a limited slip diff, becasue they use elctronics to apply braking when tyre slip is detected (where traction control is fitted - all Australian LS's).

Cheers

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

I do mine as per the handbook.

I've had the car for just over a year now and with 280,000km on the odometer, I am cycling through the serivces again. Just did the 80,000km service which included the coolant flush.

I was told tha you could always check the specific gravity of the coolant to see if its still good, but I don't know what level it should read. Also, I don't have a hydrometer!

If your engine temp is within range and you don't live in an extermely cold climate, the coolant should last until its next service schedule, assuming it was replaced appropriately last time.

If you're at all concerned, just replace the fluid. It should only cost you about $25US for the fluid so its no biggy.

hey kewlguy, EVERYBODY on this site says use the red/pink stuff, something about the chemistry/formulation that is correct for the ls system do a search, somewhere in like the first 50 pages or so there is a lengthy and comprehensive debate about red v. green and why. check it out, its really good.

I recall reading something about the red coolant resulting in much less corresion than the green.

Also, my mechanic and a Lexus mechanic told me to specifically use red coolant.

If you're going to flush out the system entirely, then get rid of the green stuff, use a flushing agent (as per the lexls website) and put in the red coolant.

I got a longlife red coolant which is supposed to be good for 5yrs / 250,000km. At least I have the peace of mind to not worry about the coolant for 5 years or whenever the service manual indicates another flush is due, whichever comes first.

Not sure that my response will be of much value to you as I am in Australia. But I paid about $30 (approx USD 22) for a 5L (approx 5 quarts) bottle of red. I purchased it from an auto store, not Lexus / Toyota, who I suspect would have charged a little more.

here in southern califonia, the cost toyota coolant is about twice that of autostore stuff, my question is would anyone say that red/pink aftremarket stuff is "good enough" for my beloved ls? I know and respect toyota purist views and would like to go that route but, it is about twice the price and less convenient to get,being that i have to go to a toyota dealer,instead of autozone which is two blocks away,or so.

I went to the Toyota dealer like 3 weeks ago.... n their coolant cost me about $19 a bottle. So it's heck of a lot more expensive than wut u would pay for @ Autozone, Strauss, etc. If ur not in a tight budge for money... (i hope i dont get flamed for this)... just put wut factory puts in... u can't go wrong wit wut they put in originally.

I do recall reading somewhere that Mr.B mentioned the break down of the coolant. If u do get aftermarket coolant... they should b low in Silicate.... otherwise u'll have a problem.

This is a quote i copied from him... cause he wrote a letter to Lexus. If i recall correctly... the lexus guy mentioned that if he does use aftermarket coolant... it's fine.. as long as the ingredients call for certain things... n it needs to b EG based.

"Lexus recommends Genuine Toyota/Lexus coolant. Here are the ingredients:

85-90% Ethylene Glycol

less than 5% Diethylene Glycol

less than 5% hydrated inorganic acids and organic acid salts

less than 5% water"

Some people say that the green/red/pink/blue, purple,yellow... wutever the color may b... is just a dye in color. For me... i have no comment... as i really dont know much about the coolant make up and the chemical make up of it. I'm just quoting from wut i have read.

I'm not the type of person who only puts in OEM. I do have aftermarket parts... as i am broke. But i would like to put OEM stuff... perhaps when i make more money... just for a peace of mind.

But if u do have another type of coolant in there... b sure to flush that old stuff out. I did have the prestone green stuff in... so i flushed the old one out. B sure not to mix... as i heard there will b a bad adverse reaction causing it to clog. Plus the flush doesn't cost much... n since i'm assuming ur going to b DIY... it's just a couple more steps u'll have to take.

As for the drain !Removed!... that was a !Removed!.... but i sprayed PB BLAST n let it sit for a few minutes as i composed myself from anger... n pulled my weight around under there... n it eventually opened.

Tom

Thanks all for the advise.

I still wasn't able to get to the side !Removed!, so I decided to take it to a mechanic to flush. He simply disconnected the heater hose pipe located near the firewall and attached a garden hose to one end and flushed the old coolant (mostly water seeing that I had drained most of the old coolant out before) untill clear water ran out of the other end. Then it was a matter of reconnecting the heater hose and adding approximately 5L of 100% concentrate coolant. Run the car for 5 - 10 min etc - job was done $35 later.

Although it was not a lot of money, next time i'll flush it this way and save my $35.

I hope this helps others who cannot get to the side !Removed! easily.

BTW, I rang a Lexus dealer and spoke with one of the service techs who was very helpfull. He advised that they also flush the coolant via the heater hose. Seeing that I also asked him about the diff oil, he advise that neither the 400's or 430's have a limited slip diff, becasue they use elctronics to apply braking when tyre slip is detected (where traction control is fitted - all Australian LS's).

Cheers

Michael

hello, im going to do a flush and refill tomorrow and i was wondering if you could tell me where that "heater hose is located,as that seems like a much better way to do the flush. On a side note i contacted the local toyota dealer and their prices were $20 for the "pink" and $25 for the "red" per gallon, local lexus dealer only had the "red" and was,get this, only $18 per gallon, suffice to say i went with the lexus.

hello, im going to do a flush and refill tomorrow and i was wondering if you could tell me where that "heater hose is located,as that seems like a much better way to do the flush. On a side note i contacted the local toyota dealer and their prices were $20 for the "pink" and $25 for the "red" per gallon, local lexus dealer only had the "red" and was,get this, only $18 per gallon, suffice to say i went with the lexus.

The Lexus factory service manual recommends draining the coolant through all three drain plugs (the one at the bottom of the radiator and the two at the bottom right and bottom left of the engine block), then refilling the cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of Toyota Long Life Antifreeze (red in color) and distilled water.

The problem with the heater hose method ( if used instead of removing the engine block drain plugs) is that it leaves the engine block full of tap water which, over time, leads to corrosion of the aluminum cooling passages and pipes in the engine and leads to mineral deposits inside the radiator. These problems in turn can lead to cylinder head gasket failure and engine overheating.

The Toyota red antifreeze is a concentrate you dilute 50/50 with distilled water. The Toyota pink antifreeze is ready-to-use as is. Therefore the red antifreeze is less expensive to use even if it costs more per gallon.

Monarch -

Are you sure the Lexus factory service manual says "use Toyota long life antifreeze (red in color)"?

My 94 ES owner's manual says to use only ethylene-glycol type coolant. It says nothing about using only Toyota ethylene-glycol coolant.

I agree with your comments about not leaving tap water in the cooling system.

Monarch -Are you sure the Lexus factory service manual says "use Toyota long life antifreeze (red in color)"?

My 94 ES owner's manual says to use only ethylene-glycol type coolant. It says nothing about using only Toyota ethylene-glycol coolant.

Your '94 ES came from the factory filled with Toyota long life antifreeze (red in color) and distilled water. To find out what happens when early 1990's ES owners have used aftermarket coolant for a long time, just search the ES forum using "head gasket", "overheating", "new radiator" as your search words. Toyota has been aware of what happens too and that's likely why, beginning with the 2003 owners manuals, Toyota has strongly urged owners to use the factory red (or pink) antifreezes.

Monarch -

Are you sure the Lexus factory service manual says "use Toyota long life antifreeze (red in color)"?

I agree with your comments about not leaving tap water in the cooling system.

I agree. my 98 Es manuals states use any EG coolant. In fact you can use many none-toyota coolants and be 100% fine. Hell, I have been doing it.

The color again as I posted long ago means nothing since it is a dye in the fluid.