Power Mirrors And Cigarette Lighters

j.barleycorn

Any help is appreciated...

Problemo #1

Both of the cigarette lighters in my 92 LS400 do not work, and did not work when I bought the car in November. I assumed a fuse was blown, but the #5 fuse is fine and the other accessories on the circuit appear OK (theft deterrent system because the light is blinking... I have not actually tried to have the alarm go off, and shift lock and air bags because I get the indicator lights on the dash)

I am suspicious that it is a ground wire or something, as what are the odds both units would be broken in a non-smoking car?

Problemo #2

The power side mirror control switch was loose when I bought the car. I assumed it was broken, but took the thing apart today and it seems it had just come loose. I assembled it back together (the outer plastic toggle switch in first, followed by the pad with the contact points on it, followed by the circuit board and housing). It all fit tight and the toggle switch felt and acted like it was back in business, but nothing happens when I try it. I did not check the #4 fuse, since the other accessories on the circuit (radio, CD changer, power antenna, etc) work fine.

Ground wire?

Whistling in the dark? :whistles:

If either or both may be grounding issues, I would appreciate any specific trouble shooting instructions!

j.b, I saw this post of yours and felt compelled to help since you figured out my issue.

I may not be able to help you directly but I'm pretty good with the Search tool. I found a few links that may help.

Problemo #1

Topic 1874

Topic 15274

Topic 22431

Problemo #2

Topic 25472

I hope they get you going.

Much appreciated, Az.

Funny how the SEARCH function works. I had already searched numerous times for both topics and did not see any of the posts you provided (but numerous other ones on the topics).

I'm going to try the magical lighter fix (pull the lighter piece out with the needle-nose and reinstall, as one guy did). I have already had the fuse in and out without success. Must admit it was nice to see so many others with the same non-fuse problem.

And I will try and clean the contacts for the power mirrors, and hope for the best!

Sheesh, how embarassing.

After I bought the car and was going over it after getting it home, I told my wife I was going to check the fuse for the cig lighters. Since she was sitting in the driver's seat at the time, she volunteered to do it for me. She found it, removed it, showed it to me, and yep, it was fine/dandy.

Just went back to square one and looked for myself. Not only was the wrong amp fuse in the cig location (too low) it was blown. Some other fuses are also either too high or missing. <_<

Lesson learned: DIY no matter how kind the offer! :chairshot:

The mirror switch on the other hand.... took it apart again to clean all the contacts, and found what I assume to be a missing part.

Unfortunately "the total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than my per post or global limit" so I can't show it. It is only 55k. Still can't figure out why I was able to post a 98k .pdf before.

I emailed the guy who is parting-out his 1991, so hopefully I can get it.

Oh well, at least I know I can charge my cell phone in the car!

Happy New Year!

Thanks to Az for the pic upload...

Arkansawer... yep, a lousy pic, with the camera strap a dangling and all. I have the rubber pad with the connectors for the mirror directional switch.

The missing part is directly behind the Left-Right mirror selector switch.

• 2 months later...

for the cig problem, check this out. It fixed my same issue.

The fuses are probably not making contact in the fuse box eventhough they are in all of the way. Take out the fuse and slightly bend each prong away from each other and put it in. Just fixed my cig lighter and wipers. two fuses, same issue. Good luck.