Mild Whinning Noise On Roll And During Parking

mann777

Gents I need help - as stated i have a whinning noise during the move stage just after u move , and also during parking stge while reverse or forward. I have checked the whole car no leaks whatsoever either in PS or engine or transmission. Mylocal garage says this could be slow death to the car as the car is already done 155 thousand miles. Any ideas

Gents I need help - as stated i have a whinning noise during the move stage just after u move , and also during parking stge while reverse or forward. I have checked the whole car no leaks whatsoever either in PS or engine or transmission. Mylocal garage says this could be slow death to the car as the car is already done 155 thousand miles. Any ideas

Mann:

I don't know about the "whining" just after you start to move. But about your garage.............find a new one! If it were an American car, I'd go a long with them on "slow death". As you read more on this forum, you'll find a great number of owners with 100K + miles. Mine is a '95, has 155K & is just getting "Broken in". I plan on hanging on to it until at least 300K. It was a $60,000 car brand new, which I bought for $7,000. I'm in the process of putting about $1,500 in to it. I couldn't be happier!

There is a solution to the whining noise.....be patient, there will be a bunch of guys that will jump all over this to help you out. How about the Power Steering? That's one that I have personal experience with. Has the screen/filter on the P/S rack Solenoid been removed and cleaned? When you first start out, are you going in a straight line or turning? Anything else that you can add about conditions at the time, etc will help everyone else narrow it down.

Mann:

I don't know about the "whining" just after you start to move. But about your garage.............find a new one! If it were an American car, I'd go a long with them on "slow death". As you read more on this forum, you'll find a great number of owners with 100K + miles. Mine is a '95, has 155K & is just getting "Broken in". I plan on hanging on to it until at least 300K. It was a $60,000 car brand new, which I bought for $7,000. I'm in the process of putting about $1,500 in to it. I couldn't be happier!

There is a solution to the whining noise.....be patient, there will be a bunch of guys that will jump all over this to help you out. How about the Power Steering? That's one that I have personal experience with. Has the screen/filter on the P/S rack Solenoid been removed and cleaned? When you first start out, are you going in a straight line or turning? Anything else that you can add about conditions at the time, etc will help everyone else narrow it down.

Mann:

Hi all

thanks for the info, infact I have checked ther PS solenoids and have them cleaned. Here goes how i have checked the sound, I jacked the car in my garage and after start had one of the boys put on gear to roll, the sound more or less comes the engine .I just recently changed timing belt, pulley bearings, pulley etc whole stuff, could it be the bearings, just a thought. For sometime i thought it the differential gear at the rear, i had changed the oil and re- torqued all the bolts. Surprise still this sound continues.As mentioned there are lot of garages, only few have the technical knowledge of the LS mechanism. One of them quoted to me to rerack the computer box which is below the gear shifter. "It sound funny but out there there are few who want to make a quick buck than solve the problem.

It Is Christmas and Hannukah so the forum is a little slow. Threadcutter is right in that it seems to be your power steering, more than likely low PS fluid. Lets start at the beginning. If you are at idle and you turn your wheel does it whine?

Seasons greetings to all. Sorry for the late reply, still in holiday moods, anyway Ok I have done the following tests.(1) Car on parking and when you spin the steering from left to right and vice versa, only noise is the tyre making irs grind on the surface parked. ((2) I put the car on jacks and then did the same test, it was smoothe, no noise at all.(3) Car on roll be it from garage or at any stop and roll, the whinning noise is from the front end, It is quite mild in nature, its like some grind internally and some quite of metallic sound. When the car slow down during a traffic stoplight or move the noise is there, After reaching 30-35mph, the noise dissappears. it all silent.

[seasons greetings to all. Sorry for the late reply, still in holiday moods, anyway Ok I have done the following tests.(1) Car on parking and when you spin the steering from left to right and vice versa, only noise is the tyre making irs grind on the surface parked. ((2) I put the car on jacks and then did the same test, it was smoothe, no noise at all.(3) Car on roll be it from garage or at any stop and roll, the whinning noise is from the front end, It is quite mild in nature, its like some grind internally and some quite of metallic sound. When the car slow down during a traffic stoplight or move the noise is there, After reaching 30-35mph, the noise dissappears. it all silent.

[seasons greetings to all. Sorry for the late reply, still in holiday moods, anyway Ok I have done the following tests.(1) Car on parking and when you spin the steering from left to right and vice versa, only noise is the tyre making irs grind on the surface parked. ((2) I put the car on jacks and then did the same test, it was smoothe, no noise at all.(3) Car on roll be it from garage or at any stop and roll, the whinning noise is from the front end, It is quite mild in nature, its like some grind internally and some quite of metallic sound. When the car slow down during a traffic stoplight or move the noise is there, After reaching 30-35mph, the noise dissappears. it all silent.

I agree with the earlier comment...155K is nothing on an LS400. I have 250K on my LS400, 1996 and runs great. I would consider another garage for sure....the Houston area has better advice for you. dos

Although it may be a little premature at your mileage, it's not impossible........wheel bearings. when you had the car on the jacks, did you spin the wheels?

777, you said that you did the timing belt and pulley but did you also replace the water pump?? I recently developed this exact sound your describing and it occurs under the same conditions and I've traced mine to a the water pump bearing (no leak currently). It's the original pump at 112K miles on my 98 so I went ahead and ordered the parts to replace it myself this weekend. If all goes well this weekend I'll let you know next week if in fact that resolved my noise.

777, you said that you did the timing belt and pulley but did you also replace the water pump?? I recently developed this exact sound your describing and it occurs under the same conditions and I've traced mine to a the water pump bearing (no leak currently). It's the original pump at 112K miles on my 98 so I went ahead and ordered the parts to replace it myself this weekend. If all goes well this weekend I'll let you know next week if in fact that resolved my noise.

A

As suggested I did not change the water pump and the bearing, Hoping this squek or whining stops as this irritates when the whole car is smoothe on the go. Thanks for the suggestion

mann777, i really think it's related to your wheels or brakes, as it only seems to happen when you're moving. how are your pads and rotors? Are you using your brakes at that low speed? you could have a caliper piston that's stuck a little, forcing the pad to rub just slightly, causing the noise. I don't disagree with alsalih on the water pump, but wouldn't that make noise regarless of movement?

alsalih:

Forgive me if you already know this, but make absolutely certain that you have the Cam Sprockets Locked (immobilized) before you remove the timing belt. Your engine is an interference type. If a Cam rotates because of valve spring pressure and a piston is "Up" (TDC) they will whack each other, probably resulting in bent valves (if you're lucky, that's all it will be).

The best thing to do is to rotate the crank so that the crank timing mark indicates TDC and both Cam sprocket alignment marks are aligned with the marks on the front of each head. Then apply the Locks to the Cam Sprockets to hold them in place. You are now safe to remove the timing belt tensioner & timing belt.

Do not rotate the crank, just install the new belt with the belt mark lined up on the crank sprocket mark & line up the Cam Sprocket marks with the belt marks. Re-install the tensioner. Provided everything lines up, you are now safe to remove the Cam Sprocket Locks.

threadcutter, thanks for the heads up. I have the factory manual and it does note to rotate the crank pulley some 45 degrees from TDC to avoid this accidental impact during replacement. I just received the parts today so I'll let you guys know how it went next week.

threadcutter, thanks for the heads up. I have the factory manual and it does note to rotate the crank pulley some 45 degrees from TDC to avoid this accidental impact during replacement. I just received the parts today so I'll let you guys know how it went next week.

Ok guys here is the update, I got the pump removed and had it checked, nothing is wrong with it, had the half bracket assy changed which is placed on the fan belt. I felt the bearing assy in it was bit hard, had a new one replaced. fitted back the whole stuff. went on a roll, the sound still persist. Today I am having the transmission drive shaft assy check which has the main bearings along with it. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks for your support guys

• 3 months later...

alsalih:

Forgive me if you already know this, but make absolutely certain that you have the Cam Sprockets Locked (immobilized) before you remove the timing belt. Your engine is an interference type. If a Cam rotates because of valve spring pressure and a piston is "Up" (TDC) they will whack each other, probably resulting in bent valves (if you're lucky, that's all it will be).

The best thing to do is to rotate the crank so that the crank timing mark indicates TDC and both Cam sprocket alignment marks are aligned with the marks on the front of each head. Then apply the Locks to the Cam Sprockets to hold them in place. You are now safe to remove the timing belt tensioner & timing belt.

Do not rotate the crank, just install the new belt with the belt mark lined up on the crank sprocket mark & line up the Cam Sprocket marks with the belt marks. Re-install the tensioner. Provided everything lines up, you are now safe to remove the Cam Sprocket Locks.

I changed TB myself and lost control of the orginal cam positions.

My engine runs but bucking occurs at lower speed all the time.

I tried but failed to identify the timing marks from the timing pulley.

You wrote: crank timing mark, TDC, cam sprocket alignment mark, marks on the front of each head.

Can you explain these marks physically where they are and how they look?

You are the man who will free me from deep agony. :-)

post-21708-1146030899.jpgLSCINFAMOUS'

Hi - refer to this reference http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html. you will have your answers

Ok Finally by the way the whinning noise for me stopped finally by changing the engine mounts and the cushion rubbers which are beneath the axle. The ideal timing to remove and replace would be when you have the water pump changed or the timing belt. As when you jack the car engine the lift would be easy to place underneath. Now the car is absolutely no sound and even while you start the car and roll, you dont realise the car is on the move.

INFAMOUS:

I changed TB myself and lost control of the orginal cam positions.

My engine runs but bucking occurs at lower speed all the time.

I tried but failed to identify the timing marks from the timing pulley.

You wrote: crank timing mark, TDC, cam sprocket alignment mark, marks on the front of each head.

Can you explain these marks physically where they are and how they look?

You are the man who will free me from deep agony. :-)

I must assume that your vehicle is pre-'95, because if it were'95 to '97, you wouldn't have gotten away with running it. The engine probably would have destroyed itself in the first revolution of operation.

Please thoroughly read these instructions;

Timing Belt

They are on "Lexls.com" & he has either written or accumulated very good instructions for maintenance on your LS.

Once you've read the instructions, everything should be much clearer. If not, please post, we'll all be more than happy to help................