Front End Shimmy

donb511

My 1992 ES 300 has a shimmy in the front end. Upon inspection I noticed the boot on the front left axle (closet to the wheel) is ripped and it seems that grease has gone come out and gone all over. Would this be causing the shimmy? The shimmy isn't too bad, but needs to be fixed. I'm pretty handy and work on all my vehicles. Replacing the axle seems straight forward. Should I be looking for anything else?

Thanks for the help.

Nope. That's the outer CV joint. If it clicks when you turn, or clicks all the time you need to replace it - as the joint is going to overheat & split in half eventually. (Normally later rather than sooner). If it doesn't make a noise you need to have a new boot packed with grease put on ASAP before you damage it too bad.

I would start with a good alignment, check for warped rotors/dragging caliper, bad suspension mounts & a blown strut.

Thanks for the replys. It seems when I am moving the wheel feels like it is out of round though. So far the only thing I found is the broken boot. Are the struts hard to do yourself? I"m thinking both fronts should be replaced.

Also, does the axle have to be removed to install boot kit?

Thanks for all help.

Also, does the axle have to be removed to install boot kit?

that would be the easiest way to do the job right. The new boot has to be repacked with grease and secured . it is just easier to do it on the bench and not while one end it still attached to the car.

steviej