Burning Oil

pkwarrior

When my car is idle, I smell burning oil.  I see a few spots after it sits for a while.

I just got an oil change and a radiator flush and no one said anything about any leaks.

I would look by the oil filter since most times, when they remove the filter, the used oil runs down the engine....

My drips for a few days after a change.

the service people were sloppy and didn't wipe up oil they spilled when refilling the engine or didn't clean up oil that spilled when the oil filter was removed.

Better check your oil and coolant levels as they may have been sloppy and over or underfilled the motor oil and coolant. And if the new coolant isn't red in color then they used an inferior aftermarket brand and probably mixed it with tap water which means that in a few years your system could suffer from accelerated aluminum corrosion, reduced cylinder head gasket life and partial clogging of the radiator.

Toyota recommended coolant is the same as the factory original coolant; i.e. 50% Toyota long life antifreeze + 50% distilled water.

also wanna check your rear valve cover gasket and your front and rear main seals

Good call. Problems with leakages in the valve cover gasket and the rear main seal on the '92-'96 ES come up often, especially on those with high mileage. I had to get the rear main seal patched up by the dealership when I had my '96 ES.

the service people were sloppy and didn't wipe up oil they spilled when refilling the engine or didn't clean up oil that spilled when the oil filter was removed. 

I know I am not sloppy by any means, pretty much very meticulous and no matter how long I spend wiping up the used oil from the poor oil filter location, it will drip on the garage floor and smell after a few drives to work

Better check your oil and coolant levels as they may have been sloppy and over or underfilled the motor oil and coolant.  And if the new coolant isn't red in color then they used an inferior aftermarket brand and probably mixed it with tap water which means that in a few years your system could suffer from accelerated aluminum corrosion, reduced cylinder head gasket life and partial clogging of the radiator.

Based on Lexus or Toyota you can use other then their coolant (as I noted in the past many many times) and color means nothing. It is a dye too. It could be hot pink and you do not care; you care about the properties.

Toyota recommended coolant is the same as the factory original coolant; i.e. 50% Toyota long life antifreeze + 50% distilled water.

Yup, they state that but you fail to take it to the next level…..if you asked them like me, if you do not use there coolant any EG coolant is fine.

If you do a search you will see the post I stated from Lexus.

All the rear gaskets are bad to leak from the angle they rock it back to. Like he said, rear valve cover gasket, rear main seal, misc. oil seals, sloppy oil change place.

RMS is an oft quoted problem, but in honesty over the years The rear valve cover gasket has been the main culprit. To me, it's turned out much more often to be the rear valve cover gasket once you go back & rear all the threads a valve cover & RMS show up together. That being said, ya I had to get back there & do my RMS too 5, or 6 months ago. It would drip a few drips here & there. Annoying. <_<

Go to a Toyota dealer for the RMS, they only charge about $325 for it. :cheers:

I hate oil change people, they're all retarded. Last week I got to deal a with a woman where Jiffylube put powersteering fluid in the brake res & this week they changed somebody's oil, the guy get's about 35 miles & it runs rough. 40 miles & the engine siezes.

Upon inspection the oil fill baffle & bottom of the oil cap are devoid of new oil, and the filter is bone dry.

Really sad too... It was an '88 Camry 3s-fe with just over 30,000 miles. :chairshot: