Running Your Enine With Low Oil

Typically the valvetrain suffers heavier rates of wear and possible denting and abrasive scaring of parts like the valve lifters and camshaft lobes. The damage can cause the valvetrain to be noisier and the engine will eventually suffer a loss of power and smoothness. After running low on oil and engine can also start burning oil

at a more rapid wait due to piston ring and cylinder damage.

Every Toyota engine rolls off the assembly line ready to deliver 500,000 - 750,000 miles of troublefree service, but most owners murder them long before 500,000 miles by running them low on oil, infrequently changing the oil, using aftermarket coolants, filters and spark plugs, neglecting preventive maintenance to the emission control system and not ever checking and maintaining engine valve clearances. Driving in an abusive manner also cuts engine life. Like did you read the thread on engine warm up? All three owners said they drive fast and furiously when their engines are cold. None have read their owners manuals which say to drive at moderate speeds until the engine is completely warmed up.

Typically the valvetrain suffers heavier rates of wear and possible denting and abrasive scaring of parts like the valve lifters and camshaft lobes.  The damage can cause the valvetrain to be noisier and the engine will eventually suffer a loss of power and smoothness.  After running low on oil and engine can also start burning oil

at a more rapid wait due to piston ring and cylinder damage.

Every Toyota engine rolls off the assembly line ready to deliver 500,000 - 750,000 miles of troublefree service, but most owners murder them long before 500,000 miles by running them low on oil, infrequently changing the oil, using aftermarket coolants, filters and spark plugs, neglecting preventive maintenance to the emission control system and not ever checking and maintaining engine valve clearances. Driving in an abusive manner also cuts engine life.  Like did you read the thread on engine warm up?  All three owners said they drive fast and furiously when their engines are cold. None have read their owners manuals which say to drive at moderate speeds until the engine is completely warmed up.

thanks for the reply. i ran my engine with low oil for a while without realizing it. i drive about 100 highway miles a day and went for a week not knowing that my oil was a bit lower than usual. i then noticed my engine's been a bit noisier when it's cold. once warmed up though it's quiet as usual. i really hope i didn't mess up my valvetrain.

Main question is how low?

Low according to the fill point or below that on the dipstick?

i'm ashamed to say it was below the dipstick.

How/Why did it get that low in the first place? That is a quart + low, Is there a leak or was it never filled up properly?

Well at least there was still oil on the dipstick. As long as the oil level wasn't more than two quarts low then your motor did't likely suffer according to Tom & Ray, the commedian radio talk show mechanics. Toyota manuals say you're likely OK too as long as you didn't do alot of high rpm driving (above about 4000 RPM) while the oil level was low the Add mark.

If the oil pressure light did not come on, the ONLY effect of running low oil level (quantity) is that its temperature will be higher, as the smaller volume of oil has less rest time in the pan to cool. That's it. No problems at all.

It certainly isn't a good idea to run low oil level, as eventually the light will come on, or flicker, indicating low pressure. Over the long term, excessive oil temperatures will cause it to break down faster, but for 500 miles no big deal.

Don't worry about it.

If the oil pressure light did not come on, the ONLY effect of running low oil level (quantity) is that its temperature will be higher, as the smaller volume of oil has less rest time in the pan to cool. That's it. No problems at all.

It certainly isn't a good idea to run low oil level, as eventually the light will come on, or flicker, indicating low pressure. Over the long term, excessive oil temperatures will cause it to break down faster, but for 500 miles no big deal.

Don't worry about it.

Thanks lots bro. I was getting a bit worried seeing that my eninge seems to be a bit louder when cold. I hear a flapping sound now.

Don't worry about it.

Thanks lots bro. I was getting a bit worried seeing that my eninge seems to be a bit louder when cold. I hear a flapping sound now.

How many miles on it as of now?

Some Toyota owners manuals are pretty emphatic about discouraging driving with the oil level below the Add mark on the dipstick. Here's what one manual says: "If the level is on the Add line or below, add oil immediately. WARNING: If the oil level is low, DO NOT run the engine at high speeds. If for any reason you must drive without adding oil, drive only for a short distance at low speeds."

Don't worry about it.

How many miles on it as of now?

I have about 95000 miles on it now and I'm about to get my tranny fluid changed tomorrow.