Engine Coolant

hey,

i just looked inside my radiator and noticed the coolant is GREEN!! is that okay? it's been like that for 15,000 miles and i have a total of 95,000 miles on the car. should i change it immediately to toyota's red stuff? i have a 1999 gs300. Please advise.

Color of the coolant sometimes doesn't matter. Toyota Coolant comes red... and most aftermarket coolant comes green. Toyota's use Dexcool, and in some cars it makes it overheat. If your car is running fine, then don't worry about it..."Don't fix it if it ain't broke."

But if it is really bugging you, then run to your Lexus/Toyota parts store and pick up a bottle for about $15.

Color of the coolant sometimes doesn't matter.  Toyota Coolant comes red... and most aftermarket coolant comes green.  Toyota's use Dexcool, and in some cars it makes it overheat.  If your car is running fine, then don't worry about it..."Don't fix it if it ain't broke."

But if it is really bugging you, then run to your Lexus/Toyota parts store and pick up a bottle for about $15.

First of all Toyota's Long Life Anti-Freeze Coolant is not Dex-cool. And if that was true why would they use it in some cars if it makes them over heat? Do they use something else in the other cars? Come on guy, think about this.

The acid freezes (green) are much closer to neutral pH. Thus, the acid freezes (green) are easier on aluminum radiators and heater cores. For most Toyota trucks with brass radiators, green is no BFD. However, the minute you put this stuff in an aluminum rad, it's the beginning of the end.