Is This My Fuel Filter ?

914lps

I just got into LA, Ca., today, a nice 300 mile drive. Car ran fine. When I was almost to were I was going, and travelling at about 20 mph, car starting acting like it had either no gas or spark. Rpm droped car would not respond to gas pedial. Pulled over and car died. Restarted and just idled. Idle speed was all over the place 1,500 rpm to 300 rpm. Again car did not want to repond to gas pedial. If I pumped it, nothing really happened other then car kept stumbling and strugling to stay running. I got a small back fire. Turned car off again, restarted. No help. I crawlled the last 2 blocks to my meeting.

I started trip with almost a full tank of gas. I had put some gas additive into this tank of gas just by chance (B12 Chemtool). So I knew it was not water in fuel. Tank was now down to 1/4 tank. Engine temp was below 1/2 mark. No warning lights were coming on. Car has never done this.

I have read about newer LS 400 that have the habit of dying after a long drive due to the computer, but I never heard of it happening on a 91, so I'm thinking it is not that.

Just to try it. I disconected the battery before going into meeting. 4 hours later I came out to car and hooked up battery. Car started and ran fine. Drove 3 miles and put 19 gallions in my tank (holds 22). Drove another 2 miles to hotel. Car running fine.

Now was it just a one time thing??? Fuel filter or pump, or ignition????

I do not know if filter has ever been changed. If so it was at 60,000 miles. Car now at 130,000 miles.

I'm thinking before I leave LA on Saterday find a shop and put fuel filter in.

Your thoughts on this???

i dont think it will be the fuel filter but at 130k you might want to change it anyway. a backfire usually means fuel is not being burned in the cylinder and when its pushed through the exhaust its bein g detonated. this could mean that you dont have any spark in the cylinder. when was the last time that you had the spark plugs and wires changed?it might be time for a tuneup

i dont think it will be the fuel filter but at 130k you might want to change it anyway. a backfire usually means fuel is not being burned in the cylinder and when its pushed through the exhaust its bein g detonated. this could mean that you dont have any spark in the cylinder. when was the last time that you had the spark plugs and wires changed?it might be time for a tuneup

last tune up was about 15 to 16 months ago. New wires and plugs at that time (EOM Parts). Caps and coils were O.K. It has been no more then 25,000 to 30,000 miles, so not yet due for a tune up... But that does not mean something desided to stop working. I it is a tune up thing, as car was just not running it would piont to caps/coils, but as the car has two, I would think it would just iether run ruff as could be, or not run at all, and right now it is back to running fine. So it is a come and go issue....

last tune up was about 15 to 16 months ago. New wires and plugs at that time (EOM Parts). Caps and coils were O.K. It has been no more then 25,000 to 30,000 miles, so not yet due for a tune up... But that does not mean something desided to stop working. I it is a tune up thing, as car was just not running it would piont to caps/coils, but as the car has two, I would think it would just iether run ruff as could be, or not run at all, and right now it is back to running fine. So it is a come and go issue....

ok then just monitor the situation and let us know if it happens again

Was the fuel filter replaced at that time as well?  :unsure:

:cheers:

As stated do not know if ever changed but if it was done it was like 60,000 miles ago.

I went into an independant shop on Ventrua blvd in Woodland kills, paid about 120.00 for them to look at car and put a new filter in. They found nothing wrong with car and could only guess at what it may be. Had filter changed as was way over due.

Drove fron Los Angeles to Yuma Az. No trouble. Car is at about same gas level as when it acted up before. We will see. But in am, i'm filling tank and going home (another 200 miles). Time will tell. But in any event car was due for the filter