Shift Lock

93ls400walt

93ls400, 92,000 miles. First time in cold weather. I bought the car in November in Florida. Today the shift release button will not push in. Removed the shift lock release cover. ( looks like this had been removed before ). And was able to release the shifter out of park. Hoped it would work after the car warmed up but it continues to stick. Any suggestions on where to start with this problem?

Check to see if you have brake lights. When the same problem happened on the 90 LS I used to have, the cause was a bad brake light switch somewhere in the brake pedal area. I didn't replace it so I do not know exactly where it is. It was, however, reasonably inexpensive.

Check to see if you have brake lights.  When the same problem happened on the 90 LS I used to have, the cause was a bad brake light switch somewhere in the brake pedal area.  I didn't replace it so I do not know exactly where it is.  It was, however, reasonably inexpensive.

I agree the Brake Switch that is actuated by the brake pedal has a dual purpose of turning the brakes on and the second set of contacts allow the shift lock to be released when going from Park to any gear. The Switch is probably easy to replace and I would suggest that, I repair one on a Honda, but don't recommend that. The Switch on a honda was $25.00. So therefore the Lexus one is Probably $100. Just kidding I don't know the price.

Check to see if you have brake lights.  When the same problem happened on the 90 LS I used to have, the cause was a bad brake light switch somewhere in the brake pedal area.  I didn't replace it so I do not know exactly where it is.  It was, however, reasonably inexpensive.

I agree the Brake Switch that is actuated by the brake pedal has a dual purpose of turning the brakes on and the second set of contacts allow the shift lock to be released when going from Park to any gear. The Switch is probably easy to replace and I would suggest that, I repair one on a Honda, but don't recommend that. The Switch on a honda was $25.00. So therefore the Lexus one is Probably $100. Just kidding I don't know the price.

Thank you both. I am going to check that out today. Will post my findings.

Thank you both. I am going to check that out today. Will post my findings.

Yes, the brake lights did not work either. Had to order the btake light switch. $68.00 at Lexus. I put it in and still not working. very sad. Then I played around with the adjustment for the plunger length. Screwed it in further so the peddle pushed it in more when your foot is off the brake peddle. And now everything works. What a great feeling to fix things without the dealer. Thanks for your insight and help.