Power Steering Fluid Flush

nc211

Probably so, but wanted to check.....is the proceedure on Lexls website to flush the power steering fluid the same proceedure to use on the Gen 2 models? His is for Gen 1, but I would assume same engine...same proceedure and same fluid measurements and so forth. I'm gonna try and do it tomorrow.

Toughest part may be getting the return hose off. It will come off easier if you try removing when the engine is hot. If you give up trying, then just buy a 10 foot long piece of vinyl tubing from a hardware store and suck the old fluid out of the PS reservoir then refill. Drive around the block and repeat a total of 5-6 times.

If you cut the return hose off then remember that replacement hose you get from an auto parts store is not going to fit as tightly because auto parts store hose is not metric. Auto parts store PS hose also isn't going to be molded for a perfect fit or made with the same extra durable grade of reinforced rubber like the factory original hose.

Interesting suggestion! Thanks! yeah I'll warm up the engine then tomorrow before I do it, or at least use a hair dryer and heat up that part. It's time for a flush as the steering is real rubbery and sluggish now on those cold mornings. Plus, it's a dirty brown color and has 25k on it from the 90k service back in May 04. I'm also going to drain the oil, filter and do another 2 quart tranny drain and fill. Figure I got all these dang tools laying around from the suspension part replacements, might as well use them. Plus, I'm so freakin' paranoid someone will strip out the threads on the lower oil pan again that I just don't feel comfortable with letting anyone else do it anymore. I always feel like a pest hawk-eyeing the mechanic at wal-mart these days.

You can purchase a Miti Vac Brake Bleeder, powered by compressed air. This sucks the fluids from any canister. Great tool. You just suck the pr steering canister dry and fill it. Run the car and do it again. This is a great tool. Part number MITMV6830 from TrackHaus.com I have used these for years and just purchased a new one last year.

The dark color of the fluid could mean:

1. The factory original fluid is still in the system (it's tan in color even when new)

2. At 90K miles the servicing shop installed BG Brand power steering fluid or some other aftermarket power steering fluid.

When changing the PS fluid all the Toyota manuals recommend using Dexron automatic transmission fluid (transparent red in color)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/psfluid.jpg

www.lexls.com is the site....he's a member on here as well :cheers:

It's my bet the original is still in the system. I really don't think they did a "true" 90k service on my car, just the tming belt and water pump. I say this because they didn't change the in-cabin air filter either, they just cleaned it. Anywho, it's time for the flush anyway. The coolant is next, and soon! I got the Valvoline dex III at the store for the power steering fluid. Toyota tranny fluid is too expensive to use for the flush proceedure.

I flushed my using Mobil 1 ATF and so far everything is running very well.

www.lexls.com is the site....he's a member on here as well :cheers:

It's my bet the original is still in the system. I really don't think they did a "true" 90k service on my car, just the tming belt and water pump. I say this because they didn't change the in-cabin air filter either, they just cleaned it. Anywho, it's time for the flush anyway. The coolant is next, and soon! I got the Valvoline dex III at the store for the power steering fluid. Toyota tranny fluid is too expensive to use for the flush proceedure.

nc, i think there might be a filter screen you can take off and clean also, it might help with that cold-morning-steering issue on top of the fluid flush.

Check this link out for the filter cleaning, but its for 98-so you can probably take a look underneath and see if the 95 has the same setup, I'm off to work now or I'd check on my 96 right now.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=12024&hl=

Good luck!

Well it's done, wasn't too bad either, but was messy. Morg, you were right, it was a bit of a booger getting that hose off! It needed it badly, the old fluid was black as midnight! And there was dirt in the resivour cannister. Question, it looked like there is a screen in the bottom of the cannister....is that the screen we're talking about? If so, how do you get that thing out to clean it? Because mine needs to be cleaned...badly. Anyway, steering feels much better now, not as watery. Also did another tranny fluid drain and fill. I'm now completely red. The old stuff was red, not dark red or burnt looking, but red like the new stuff. It's such an easy process to do I just can't justify not doing it whenever I am working on the car in general. Also changed the oil and filter for the first time ever in my life. I wish I could get a refund for all that money I've spent over the years for that service...talk about a cake thing to do! That oil had 4k miles on it, and it was super black! I use Mobile 1 5w30 full synthetic and have for the past 10k miles. Guess it's still cleaning the engine. Car drives great, shifts super smooth and now the only thing I would like to do is flush the coolant and the brake fluid. Coolant might require some help though, looks a little tougher than what I care to take on, according to Lexls website "THAT'S AN AWESOME SITE!" Thanks Lexls for making that site!

Coolant is the easiest to do, all you need to do is loosen the drain plug at the bottom left of the radiator, catch all the old fluid, fill it up, run engine with heat on, top it off and you're set. The engine drain plug for the other bit of coolant isnt worth getting to, as long as your coolant is changed frequently.

Glad your ps fluid change worked out without any kinks, good job!